• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 smaller babies in a litter of 7

Hi my doe has had 7 babies but two look tiny and skinny they r only 2 days old should I be worried or just see how it goes. She has had two litters before and is a great mum so I'm not worried about her not caring but this is a bigger litter for her this time x

Some have, what they call, peanuts. These are very small babies that do not survive beyond a couple of days. They are different to runts and smaller much smaller in size. Failing that they could be just runts of the litter. If you check them after about 10am in the morning as mum should have fed them by then and check they all have nice round bellies, so it confirms to you that mum is feeding them. It maybe just they are smaller (runts can survive), if they are peanuts there is no way they will survive and maybe best just to let nature take its course.

Hope that helps a little. I have a litter of 7 at the minute (my first litter), however, I do have masses of rabbit experience, I just have never bred to due mass of rescue buns that I usually end up with. Mine are from a stray and not sure if they are half wild!!!

Some have, what they call, peanuts. These are very small babies that do not survive beyond a couple of days. They are different to runts and smaller much smaller in size. Failing that they could be just runts of the litter. If you check them after about 10am in the morning as mum should have fed them by then and check they all have nice round bellies, so it confirms to you that mum is feeding them. It maybe just they are smaller (runts can survive), if they are peanuts there is no way they will survive and maybe best just to let nature take its course.

Hope that helps a little. I have a litter of 7 at the minute (my first litter), however, I do have masses of rabbit experience, I just have never bred to due mass of rescue buns that I usually end up with. Mine are from a stray and not sure if they are half wild!!!

I have checked them well and they r not peanuts as they are developed fine they just ain't as large and plump as the others I'm hoping they just need to have a good fed but I'm worried as so small they r not getting so much as the others r bigger and maybe pushing them out way as I have read top two and bottom two nipples don't produce as much milk, I will keep fingers crossed and keep eye on. Hope all goes well with your seven x

Can you place your doe on her back on your knee and put the babies on to her nipples and let them suckle? That way at least you know they have got some milk inside them. If they are smaller than the others the other ones will be a lot stronger and will get to mum's milk first. Mum will only feed for a very short time so if they don't get in quick they may never get any milk. What breed is your rabbit because 7 is a large litter to manage if she is only small.

Can you place your doe on her back on your knee and put the babies on to her nipples and let them suckle? That way at least you know they have got some milk inside them. If they are smaller than the others the other ones will be a lot stronger and will get to mum's milk first. Mum will only feed for a very short time so if they don't get in quick they may never get any milk. What breed is your rabbit because 7 is a large litter to manage if she is only small.

I think she is a Rex I'm not sure as I rescued her from my neighbours who had her in doors and just threw her out one night. I have checked them this morning and their tummies look like they have been fed so will keep close eye on and if they don't pick up I will do what u said just so I know they are getting enough food.

Back