• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some sense talking into me. Dangeously close to getting new bunnies!

Sam and Truffs

Mama Doe
It's not practical. It's probably not even possible. But I really am yearning for more bunnies and there are three 'surprise' baby does near me which need a home.
However. Sam & Truffles (both sisters) are house rabbits and Truffles just proved when she was staying with a friend recently while we were away that she doesn't cope well with other rabbits near her. The lady who looked after them has her own rabbits and was looking after more, and in the 2nd week Truffles started attacking Sam and had to be separated. She's fine now they are home and she can't smell anything else but it certainly doesn't bode well for a big group of 5 does it?! Or indeed any more holidays ever.
I do have an outside 8 ft chicken coop which they were originally going to be living in (yes I know now that chicken coops are far from ideal, but I didn't then) so I guess they could be outdoor bunnies but it would mean getting a bigger setup and I feel we wouldn't get to bond with them the way we do with our house buns. Plus there's the cost of insurance, and jabs, and spaying and everything else. Tell me I'm temporarily crazy.
Actually even more crazily I'd really love a couple of giants, but they would definitely need to be house bunnies and I think Truffles would be making her feelings on that very clear. I just need to get over it don't I.
Sorry for my ramblings!

It's not practical. It's probably not even possible. But I really am yearning for more bunnies and there are three 'surprise' baby does near me which need a home.
However. Sam & Truffles (both sisters) are house rabbits and Truffles just proved when she was staying with a friend recently while we were away that she doesn't cope well with other rabbits near her. The lady who looked after them has her own rabbits and was looking after more, and in the 2nd week Truffles started attacking Sam and had to be separated. She's fine now they are home and she can't smell anything else but it certainly doesn't bode well for a big group of 5 does it?! Or indeed any more holidays ever.
I do have an outside 8 ft chicken coop which they were originally going to be living in (yes I know now that chicken coops are far from ideal, but I didn't then) so I guess they could be outdoor bunnies but it would mean getting a bigger setup and I feel we wouldn't get to bond with them the way we do with our house buns. Plus there's the cost of insurance, and jabs, and spaying and everything else. Tell me I'm temporarily crazy.
Actually even more crazily I'd really love a couple of giants, but they would definitely need to be house bunnies and I think Truffles would be making her feelings on that very clear. I just need to get over it don't I.
Sorry for my ramblings!

I started with one, now have four. Love them all equally, they're bonded into pairs so I spend equal time with them :) it is expensive though

At the end of the day you have to do what is best for the animals already in your care - if you think having other buns would have a negative impact on your current ones then it isn't really fair. If her reaction was extreme to having other rabbits around, I'd also want to test her reaction to you/items smelling of other rabbits before you get any for outdoors.

Sorry :( I know how you feel, I desperately want mice/hamsters but can't, because it would jeopardize renting places again as I only can afford to share places. It's hard enough with the buns! I also want another 2, as I feel my two would benefit from being made a quad, as they aren't the best match in the world.

Last edited:
I've looked after this lady's house rabbit, at her house, and if Truffles smelled her on me it didn't have any effect, so it might well be OK to have other buns outside, but I'd hate anything to spoil the bond my current 2 have.

I can totally understand how you feel. I started with two and now have six. There are just so many cuuuute (and often unwanted) rabbits out there ... best of luck with whatever you decide. I feel that six is enough for me in terms of cleaning out and vaccines, etc so I have stopped at that (well apart from the three guinea pigs and the hamster, already had the two dogs). I love animals. I am able to happily care for all the ones that I have but any more would feel over whelming for me. I guess you will know your own limits. :wave:

If money were no object I think it would be a yes as long as it didn't affect my current two. But all the other costs will add up and DH's contract is up in November so it probably isn't wise.

Back