• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dentals... Do you...

Bunby (aka Hudol - Magic / Magical in Welsh) is a dental bun. It turns out he has a deformed mouth and spurs to boot!

Anyway, he has had about three dentals now (going for the fourth tonight). I can tell now when he is coming up to needing one but what do the rest of RUers do?

Do you have a set number of weeks between dentals (my friend does with her bun, every fifth Thursday) or do you wait until the bun shows signs that he/ she needs to go?

I guess there's pros and cons with each.

What are your views?

Lola was a severe dental bunny, she had dental disease and only one upper right molar, hence her left teethies had nothing to grind against ...and that equals big problems.

At one point it was every 4 weeks, but because of her age the gap between dentals increased as the tooth growth slowed down.

We waited for symptoms, we were always very good at spotting it early with her though :love::love:

I miss her so much :(

Wait for symptoms. Grim's dentals are getting further and further apart as more teeth fall out.

Depends on the individual Rabbit. Some dont show any symptoms even when they have huge spurs causing soft tissue damage. So waiting for obvious signs may not be appropriate.

Monitoring weight and poo output is useful.

I weigh weekly and any significant drop in weight means a trip to the vets. If is a small drop (i.e. could jut be a timing thing) I weigh over the next few days and watch how they eat.

Back