• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slugs - copper tape deterrent

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
We have a dog kennel for our buns and the floor is on raised plywood and then rubber mats on top. Slugs keep getting in a sliming over their food of a night and having a swim in their water bowls :mrgreen:

On research I found copper tape that is supposed to give an electric current so that when the slug goes over it it does not like it and goes back the way it came........................... I bought some stuff that was clearly meant for this (as it said on the box)

it doesn's work so don't waste your money if you are thinking of any thing similar :lol:

If anyone has any other suggestions to deter them from helping themselves to my buns food and water please let me know.

I bought some too, last week. It didn't work and they put holes in my clematis :evil:

We had this problem in the utility room with Chinas biscuits. I put a sprinkling of salt all around the bowl and touch wood they havent been in it since

We had this problem in the utility room with Chinas biscuits. I put a sprinkling of salt all around the bowl and touch wood they havent been in it since

But did you end up with lovely green/yellow slime to clean up from dead slugs?

Made that mistake... :mrgreen:

Feed the slugs.
I leave rabbit food under the hutch but some people leave cucumber. Then they have no need to go in. I've tried so many things and this is the only thing that seemed to work for me. The copper tape oxidises after a few days and doesn't work after that.

we use those copper pan scourers round our allotment, it works, they unroll from the sort of polo shape into a long piece.

We used to have a problem with slugs but I put copper and weaves copper wire through the bottom of the hutch door and it seems to have worked.

Perhaps it's the wire that's worked if you guys think the tape hasn't.

The copper tape DOES work but you have to make sure there is absolutely no way for a slug to bypass it. There must be no droopy leaves around the pot, no fence or other pots nearby that they can use as a bridge to avoid the tape etc. My hostas in a lone pot well away from EVERYTHING stay lovely. The other ones that are pushed up against the fence, and have copper tape round the pots, are full of holes.

Used filter coffee grains is supposed to keep slugs away from plants you could put a circle of it round the hutch :lol:

The copper tape DOES work but you have to make sure there is absolutely no way for a slug to bypass it. There must be no droopy leaves around the pot, no fence or other pots nearby that they can use as a bridge to avoid the tape etc. My hostas in a lone pot well away from EVERYTHING stay lovely. The other ones that are pushed up against the fence, and have copper tape round the pots, are full of holes.

We had a piece of ply to put their food on, put the tape continuously around the edge and they still got over it up the bowl and slimed the food :roll:

I actually watched a slug go right over it and it did nothing. :roll: It was a "branded" type roll that is sold in a few places so it "should" have worked.

We have also tried feeding them outside and in a corner of the shed where they tend to go (and bunnies can't get to the food).

Salt / coffee grains are not an option as the bunnies have access to everywhere and might lick/eat it.

Last year I tried to grow sunflowers with my nieces and nephew and they all got eaten by the time they were 10cm high :( this year I put tape all the way round the seedling pots and again round the big pots they are in now and all have reached 5-6ft :D Apart from two which got eaten as there was a leaf from another plant that was leaning against my youngest nieces pot :evil: I planted another seed, it grew and she didn't notice :thumb: however there are still a few holes in leaves but that could be from something else?

Maybe some slugs are more hardcore, like terminator slugs and they just glide through the shocks :lol:

After I wrote my last message, I checked on the webcam and there was one heading for the food bowl and another in close pursuit :roll:

So I ran down to get them out and there were 4 of them hanging around so they were taken to the far side of the garden (probably made their way back later :roll: )

It is one of these slugs I think.............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limax_flavus

Back