• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits just given birth- help please!

Suzyjo

Warren Scout
I'm looking after a rabbit and she's just given birth.. There's four babies but unfortunately they are all dead.. There's blood all over! She's licking them so I don't know if I should leve them in there or take them out? Also should I clear the blood up or should I leave her to rest until tomorrow?

Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm like in a state of shock!

I'm looking after a rabbit and she's just given birth.. There's four babies but unfortunately they are all dead.. There's blood all over! She's licking them so I don't know if I should leve them in there or take them out? Also should I clear the blood up or should I leave her to rest until tomorrow?

Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm like in a state of shock!

oh my gosh I dont know about these things sorry

*hug* I am so sorry that they are dead...

*hug*

Thank you! I feel awful because I wasn't there and it was obviously traumatic for her :( it was heart breaking to watch her licking them so, rightly or wrongly, I've removed the babies :cry:

She's eating and drinking fine so hopefully she's ok, I'm practically in tears! I feel like I should have done something for her and the babies :cry:

Thank you! I feel awful because I wasn't there and it was obviously traumatic for her :( it was heart breaking to watch her licking them so, rightly or wrongly, I've removed the babies :cry:

She's eating and drinking fine so hopefully she's ok, I'm practically in tears! I feel like I should have done something for her and the babies :cry:

oh hun you couldnt have done anything they were most likely still born.

*hug*

you are doing what you can

I would be in tears too

Either option would have been fine, but I think I'd have gone with removing them to.

Depending how much blood, I would maybe take out the worst and then do a full clean tomorrow.

There isn't anything you could have done, it sounds like they were still born. Just keep an eye on her to make sure there are no complications, if she's eating drinking well then that's great :)

I would get a Vet to look at her this morning. She may have a Uterine infection. There does sound to have been a very abnormal amount of blood loss which could indicate a problem that requires urgent surgical intervention.

Poor Bunnies :cry:

RIP Babies xx

There was a lot of blood, it shocked me how much! In the back of my mind i was slightly worried by how much there was but because I've never had any experience with this before I had no idea what to expect.. :(

Through the night she gave birth to 3 more babies, all still born :cry:

She's perked up a lot this morning! Still eating and drinking fine but I'll still take her to the vet

Thank you

She's off to the vets at 11 for a check over to make sure there's nothing wrong down there, but I was just wondering if anyone knew how long after giving birth I can get her vaccinated and spayed?

As awful as it sounds I wasn't going to get her spayed before I gave her back, with 6 of my own I couldn't really afford it but after last night I can't let her go where she could possibly be bred from again!

can you phone the owner and ask if she can be spayed? As it could get you into trouble otherwise. Say that the vet said she is a serious risk if she doesnt as if there was that much blood and she is unspayed there is high risks to her health and the vet would agree. You need permission really as its someone elses pet and there is the risk of her passing away during the operation and you would be responsible as she hadent gave persmission......

Spaying is the right thing to do but the owner may not see it that way

If you are not the legal owner you cannot get her spayed or vaccinated without the owner's consent. If you do the owner may decide she wants to take legal action against both you and the Vet !! Not that the Vet could possibly know about the ownership situation if you dont tell him/her

Sorry I should have explained the situation.. I completely forgot about explaining it because I was in such a panic last night..

She was rescued by a lady along with 2 other rabbits who were under risk of being fed for snake food/ just released into the wild. The lady couldn't keep them as she lives in a small flat so she rang my work, we had no space but I offered to look after her until we had space so technically I suppose that does make me her owner at the minute I think?

Sorry I should have explained the situation.. I completely forgot about explaining it because I was in such a panic last night..

She was rescued by a lady along with 2 other rabbits who were under risk of being fed for snake food/ just released into the wild. The lady couldn't keep them as she lives in a small flat so she rang my work, we had no space but I offered to look after her until we had space so technically I suppose that does make me her owner at the minute I think?

Ooooo that's ok then :)

Oh my goodness - what a shock for you!

Poor little bun. I hope everything goes okay at the vet. It seems that spaying will be the right thing for this little bun.

Hugs for you. xx

sleep tight little babies xx

I'm not 100% certain on how long after giving birth, I would guess at least a couple of weeks because there will be an increased blood supply to the area at the moment.

Oh my goodness - what a shock for you!

Poor little bun. I hope everything goes okay at the vet. It seems that spaying will be the right thing for this little bun.

Hugs for you. xx

sleep tight little babies xx

Thank you! Yes defiantly going to get her spayed, I can't give her back with the possibility she could be bred from again! The vet said everything looked fine, I just have to make sure she keeps eating and drinking, she is having no problems at all eating the greedy lil thing :lol:

I'm not 100% certain on how long after giving birth, I would guess at least a couple of weeks because there will be an increased blood supply to the area at the moment.

Yeah I was thinking maybe in a couple of weeks, I asked the vet but she didn't know.. Will be going to a different vets to get her spayed I think!

Good thanks, the vets said everything was fine and to just make sure she is still eating, drinking and is her usual self! Cleo, bunny, was abit quiet this morning but she'd perked up loads by time I took her to the vets :)

Yeah I was thinking maybe in a couple of weeks, I asked the vet but she didn't know.. Will be going to a different vets to get her spayed I think!

It's probably not too common a situation, if they'd survive then you naturally have to wait for them to wean anyway. There might be a rescue with some experience that could advise you.

Oh she's given birth to three more this evening, all still born :( I'm going to take her to a different vet tomorrow!

Back