• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you ever feel bad for keeping buns indoors???

moi

Mama Doe
Dont get me wrong my 2 are very happy being house buns, and I love them wandering around the house, but when I see them outdoors in thier run it looks so much more natural.... does that make sense?? x

I don't because I know how they react to new space indoors, it's novel for a few weeks and then they almost take it for granted. Plus one of mine isn't massively keen on going outside anyway! It's also much safer for them indoors, we have lots of foxes here.

Nah, in my case it's so hot outside (112 heat index again today!) I don't think they'd be happier outdoors, just hotter :lol: That's why people mainly have indoor rabbits here. Plus indoor buns generally have more space,what with being able to free range, so I think they're just as happy as outdoor buns.

I would like to have a nice big safe pen I could put them in when the weather is nice though:), I used to do that with my old rabbits

Nope. My boys can be quite skittish outside, Bilbo more so than Cloud. They still get the benefits of the forage because I bring it in for them, but without the worry of predators. I've seen what the falcon around here eats and it's just reared 3 chicks relatively nearby so no thanks :lol:

Never! I will always have indoors rabbits: my current rabbits are happy, love being with us all day, and are safer indoors. Joshua loves to sleep on my bed and be around people, Toshi is quite nervous with things he does not know and really loves people, Paige loves to be cuddled and is a bit scared of new situations. There are hawks, foxes, bears, raccoon, coyote, and owls near us, so it's not safe in the least. They get fresh grass, some time outside in the summer, and can sit in the window.

I feel a bit guilty sometimes, but one bun I can catch/pick up/handle easily but his missus takes forever to catch to out out in the run and forever to catch to bring back in, I don't like leaving them out there unattended even though its a massive safe covered run so I can only do it when I'm there which outside of work is hard sometimes ! All they seem to do is just sit there anyway like they do inside , they don't eat the grass or explore , daft pair !!! :roll:
Not sure they enjoy it all that much if I'm honest. :wave:

No not really. Bella isn't overly keen on going outside, I have a pen for her in the garden and it's literally taken her all summer to realise that it isn't all that bad. The first few times she was terrified and freaked out whenever she saw a bird as she didn't know what they were! She does sometimes enjoy it now but I'm pretty sure she'd hate actually living outdoors :lol: So no, I don't feel guilty!

No, Ginger would be dead.

She loves the outside, so does Biscuit, but only for short periods. I'm sure Biscuit would love being an outside bun with plenty of space, but its just not viable.

Not at all! You get much more interaction with them, in the summer its cooler for them inside and in the winter its warmer. Id hate to have to clean a cold bunny shed out in 3ft of snow! Bbbrrrrrr!

I love seeing Lola's little face every time I go in the kitchen, she loves being picked up for a snuggle and licks you to death the same way a dog would! :lol:

She does like fresh air, but she loves me more. She loves a good romp on the grass, but if I get up and go inside she follows.

No. As i dont think i would ever see Lola and too many cats plus i wanted an indoor rabbit. Dont like the thought of her out there.

Yes. They are all outside now and seem to really enjoy being in the fresh air and sunshine. I do miss having them in my room but they have more space outdoors ...

No - Truffle hates outside. I do feel a little bad for Fudge - she used to like to go out in the garden for half an hour in the mornings, but not since we got the outside buns. When we move, I really want to have two separate outdoor areas so Fudge can still venture out every now and then.

My wildie - hates been inside. Smirnoff never really went out in the run - stopped in the playhouse (but was a decent size & had levels). I think he was an indoors bun.

Everyone else is fine with whatever:lol:

Think my bunnies like being indoors better, they get lots of attention which they wouldn't have as much outside. They are not too keen on going outside with all the odd noises but like it for a short time and like to go in when they have had enough by themselves! They have lots of space indoors as they have the whole dining room and kitchen and love to come into the living room as a treat :lol: Its quite funny that when they do go outside they will only have a nibble on the grass but I have strawberry leaves and blackcurrant bushes they can eat but will only eat these things if I bring them inside!

I actually feel bad for keeping my outdoor buns outside because my indoor buns get far more attention and are much more part of the family because they are around us all the time.

I feel a bit guilty sometimes, but one bun I can catch/pick up/handle easily but his missus takes forever to catch to out out in the run and forever to catch to bring back in, I don't like leaving them out there unattended even though its a massive safe covered run so I can only do it when I'm there which outside of work is hard sometimes ! All they seem to do is just sit there anyway like they do inside , they don't eat the grass or explore , daft pair !!! :roll:
Not sure they enjoy it all that much if I'm honest. :wave:

My Peggy and Tonic are like that..... keeps me fit!

Ours don't really know any different - so no, but I would love to let Sheldon out for a really long run and binky session...however, Mr Fox would also love that! The buns do have loads of room to run and binky inside though.

Back