• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!!! Bonding an unspayed female with my neutered french lop buck house bun

Emma H

Warren Scout
Hi

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice (think I posted this thread on the wrong bit before......anyway....)

I have been searching for a spayed French Lop doe as a friend for my neutered French Lop House Bun Bailey for months now and have been unsuccessful.

I have now found an unspayed French Lop who is 9 months old. I took Bailey to see her this evening and they seemed to get on okay (from reading all of the material around bonding it was a very typical meet - little bit of chasing, both humping each other, then leaving each other alone, then some more chasing etc. - didn't seem to be any biting and scratching etc so I thought it was quite successful).

I need to find her her own indoor cage to sleep in - I was going to attach her and Bailey's indoor cage when they were ready. And once I have got that, I am going to to take her home.

Problem is - I want to get her spayed (health reasons, meant to be better for bonding etc.)

a) do I ask if I could get her spayed before I bring her home - so take her to the vets then take her back to where she is now (I thought this may help her recuperate better - however she is kept in a little cage in a shed full of other rabbits)

OR

b) do I bring her home then spay her a few days later? But how will this affect the bonding??

Any help would be massively appreciated!!!

Emma
xxx

I would be inclined to bring her home, let her settle for a few days then have her spayed and wait a few weeks (8?) until you bond her with your indoor buck. Best of luck.

I wouldn't risk it. I'd personally go to a rescue who bonds for you, as then you have the knowedge that they get on before you adopt, and if things didnt work out you should be able to return the new bun to rescue.

I know there is a pair of French Lops in Honeybunnies in Leicester, though I'm not sure what their views on trio's are. I foster a beautiful spayed conti who is looking for a home, but can't help if you want a french lop

I would be inclined to bring her home, let her settle for a few days then have her spayed and wait a few weeks (8?) until you bond her with your indoor buck. Best of luck.

This, but be prepared to keep 2 separate if they do not bond

This, but be prepared to keep 2 separate if they do not bond

Well I have been waiting for months to get a rescue one from the places near me, but have had no luck. I definitely don't have room for 3!haha. A conti would be waaay to big :(

Well we had an initial meet and they didn't fight? They chased a bit and tried to hump one another - I thought this was quite positive so thought if I brought her home and tried to bond them it would eventually succeed?

Would anyone recommend bringing her home, bond them, then spay her once they are bonded?

Thanks guys

Xxxx

Well I have been waiting for months to get a rescue one from the places near me, but have had no luck. I definitely don't have room for 3!haha. A conti would be waaay to big :(

Well we had an initial meet and they didn't fight? They chased a bit and tried to hump one another - I thought this was quite positive so thought if I brought her home and tried to bond them it would eventually succeed?

Would anyone recommend bringing her home, bond them, then spay her once they are bonded?

Thanks guys

Xxxx

No!

Thanks guys

Xxxx

The conti I'm looking after for a rescue is just under 4kg, which I believe is smaller than an average French Lop? :?

Is there any particular reason you want another French Lop? Size isn't an issue - I know of a rescue that have a French Lop and a Netherland dwarf as a bonded pair

The conti I'm looking after for a rescue is just under 4kg, which I believe is smaller than an average French Lop? :?

Is there any particular reason you want another French Lop? Size isn't an issue - I know of a rescue that have a French Lop and a Netherland dwarf as a bonded pair

Oh I thought they were more veering on the 6kg the continental giants? How wrong was I :)

To be honest, I wanted a French Lop as I think they have an amazing temperament and I was hoping she would just be like Bailey in that respect - I really have never known a more lovely rabbit (I also love their floppy ears). I had seen French Lops for rehoming but they were always really far down South or far up North :( I have been waiting for the RSPCA centres near me to get one in since Christmas and just didn't want to wait any longer. The woman at the RSPCA had advised that it would be better to bond him with a larger rabbit of a similar age.

Anyway - I am going to collect Belle (the 9 month old French Lop doe) tonight, and I have her booked in to be spayed on Monday. To be honest, the conditions she is being kept in, I would class her as a rescue :( Can't wait to have her hopping about my house.

Obviously I won't attempt to bond them for a few weeks (mid September maybe?). Until then - are they allowed to even set eyes on each other? Like if Belle was in a cage and Bailey was hopping about? Or is it strictly, no seeing, no touching until they are ready to begin the bonding process?

Thanks for all your help!!

xxx

It is probably best to wait about 6 weeks after spaying before you try to bond, as it takes that long for the hormones to die down, and that will give you the best chance of a successful bond.

Back