• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What made you decide on rabbits as pets???

moi

Mama Doe
As a child I had a rabbit, but soon lost intrest, my Mum had to moan at me to clean him out. He died through choking on straw :(

As an adult I had no interest in gettng a rabbit, remembering how much I hated cleaning out the hutch. We have had guineas and hamsters. My Son developed allergys against piggys so we didnt get anymore and hes also allergic to cats. Onr day while alking through pets at home we see a sign about house rabbits and a rabbit with a litter tray. That was the moment we decided to look into getting a house bun... after lots of research and sorting out and decorating the outhouse we went for it and so glad we did. We got Peggy and Tonic from woodgreen. We only ever were gonna have the 2 buns, but Benji we took in for a friend of my Sister, and then Bunny to keep him company x

I didn't want a rabbit! I hated rabbits!

But then my friend showed me her sister's bunny, Harry, and I fell in love with him. My friend was looking after him instead of the sister. Then they went on a long holiday and left him with me, and I fell so in love that in the end they gave him to me as the sister was allergic and they felt he had a better life with me.

Then when he died I couldn't live without a bunny so along came Ludo. :love:

I really don't no. I wanted a pet but not a massive fan of cats and dog was too big for the flat. I had done some research( not enough:oops:) I got cage and bits then went to PAH and bought Lola. Would not be without her now.

my friend had rabbits, which were very sadly in tiny, filthy hutches. all were obese and looked so so sad. they were bred from occasionally aswell. i just loved them as soon as i saw them and begged and begged my mum and dad to let me have one. one of the babies was this little black one, who i named jet. i loved that bunny but i wasn't allowed him and when he was sold i was so upset that soon after my mum and dad told me i could get one. we got patch who we unfortunately didn't look after as well as we should have, but i loved him so much. he was so amazing and we had a lovely friendship. :love::love: i feel so bad that we didn't know how to look after him properly.

i just always loved rabbits. everytime we went to the library i would pick books on rabbits. :love:

My boyfriend & I bought our first home in August 2012 & as I was never allowed animals in my parents house I decided I wanted a little pet to call my own & share our house with. Honestly for the longest time I was thinking of getting a kitten, searched & searched then for some reason I started looking at bunnies (I had one as a child) & I read up about them and I think it was instant love, I had to have a bunny. Now I wouldn't swap him for the world - for me dogs and cats don't come close to rabbits, he has made our first home a very very happy one :love:

My mum has always really been into animals and we had bunnies when I was growing up.
My bunny Bubble was my best friend and I've been in love with bunnies ever since.

I liked dogs better until my neighbour said her boy rabbits were fighting and she was going to 'get rid of one'.. My son pleaded for the bunny so I relented and said yes.... The result was a fan introduction to bunnies, Floppy... Oh I loved that bunny...

Cant imagine not having a wee cute bunny face looking at me for noms!! xxxxx

I have depression and pretty much had a mini breakdown... I pretty much needed something/someone to live for

Many years ago .. :oops: I looked after my neighbours rabbits whilst she was on holiday.... I loved them.... we ended up getting a pair...
That pair have turned into six over the years ( three pairs) :oops:

I have depression and pretty much had a mini breakdown... I pretty much needed something/someone to live for

This. At home I always had pets to 'confide' in. 2 years at uni without them was really not helping, and our landlord would only allow 'small caged animals'. I took the caged part with a pinch of salt I admit, given that they had the pen attached, but it had its own carpet and the landlord didn't know they were let out... I was annoyed when he inspected with the lettings lady and sent a letter complaining about the two LARGE rabbits in a very LARGE cage (bear in mind at this point they were free ranging and didn't have the pen or carpet in front, so all he saw was them in the 150 cage :censored:).

Now I can't imagine not having them, and I'm happy every time I can improve what they have, which has happened since moving to this new flat.

I've had animals my entire life and I loved stories about rabbits, when I was little I could recite the tale of peter rabbit by heart! The 4H fair is right down the road from me so I would go there and I loved to sit by the rabbits. One day the woman let me hold one of the adult rabbits and he nibbled on my rain coat, I was instantly in love :love: Every year after that I begged my mom to let me get a rabbit from 4H, but she only let me once I had my own money to help pay for the initial costs. Once I was finally allowed to have a rabbit, my mom convinced me to go to the shelter and that's where I adopted Snowy from.

Honestly? I wanted a rabbit because they are cute. I didn't know much about them apart from the mostly incorrect care information I picked up from having rabbits as family pets as a child. I got Misty off Gumtree with a 4ft hutch, although I had a vague idea that she should have more space.

Then I found RU which taught me how to care for bunnies properly :thumb:

I'm definitely still learning though!

We had a rabbit as a family when I was really young but about 6/7 years ago our cat was stolen and so my mum said I could either get a kitten or two rabbits. I chose the kitten which my mum wasn't expecting so she quickly took me to a Dutch breeder who me found via freeads mag and I got my first girls. It wasn't until we lost one that we discovered rescues and found how they needed space etc but now iv rescued 4 since and love rabbits :love:

I downloaded a game. It had a cute bunny. I pestered my mum till she let me have one!

I hadn't done much research to be honest, but Misty was from pets at home and the booklet was actually really informative. I wish everything would have been 100% right from the start, but Lola helped me come to terms with losing Misty and realise I couldn't be without those cute ears and bunny tails. I'm getting a chance to do things right, from the beginning again.

I was about 3 yrs old when my parents got me and my siblings 3 rabbits for Easter. They had a rabbit, flemish giant I believe, but she had died a year or two before so they wanted to have rabbits again. I haven't went a day without rabbits since:love: I can't even imagine growing up without rabbits!

I grew up with bunnies and thankfully my parents were great bunny owners. Always rescued from Wood Green Animal Shelters and had free ranging buns.

When I set up home with my husband (then boyfriend!) I felt lost without a bunny so went on to rescue some myself. Don't think I'll ever be without them, and hopefully when I have children they will feel the same :love:

I really wanted a cat but my OH is allergic to a lot of furries. We were torn between rabbits and guinea pigs and couldn't make up our minds what to get so I went to P@H and bought one rabbit and one GP to stay together in an 3 feet indoor cage :oops::( Then I learnt that they needed separated, and I had 3 piggies and 2 buns, and gradually increased their space as I learnt more. I now have 2 buns and 2 piggies (definitely separate now) and can't actually imagine being without either of them.

I never dreamt I would get so much joy and fun out of having them :love::love:

After I got sick I ended up house bound and pretty much bed bound, I decided I wanted an animal that I could have in my bedroom and I had my heart set on buying an African Pygmy Hedgehog. On one of my rare trips out of the house my mum said to me "me and your dad would rather you got a cheaper pet than a hedgehog" so I asked her what she had in mind, we just happened to be driving past pets@home so mum suggested we go and look at the guineapigs and rabbits. At the time guineapigs freaked me out :oops: so we looked at the rabbits, Sebastian was in the adoption section because no-one wanted him :( I had a cuddle and fell in love but when I asked the shop assistant if I could reserve him and go home to ask my Dad for permission she said they couldn't reserve adoption animals.
I had to ring my dad there and then and he said yes :shock: my parents must have been plotting about it because he never ever makes a decision that quickly, ever! I didn't actually have anything at home for a rabbit so had to buy it then, I actually asked if there were any cages that were smaller than the one I had picked :oops: (it was 3ft) but thankfully the lady said no!
After all that I fell in love with rabbits, who are by no means a cheap pet I think my parents are kicking themselves for suggesting it :lol: before I got Sebastian I thought rabbits were boring animals who didn't do anything, I was very very wrong :love:

Back