• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jasp doesn't seem to like hay very much.

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
We have tried him on the P@H timothy hay which he came with, the farm hay we buy, tried him with Readigrass and I just bought some marigold and dandelion hay, he doesn't seem to have eaten much of that either. The other two however wolf it down! I hope if they successfully bond then my other two can influence Jasp to be a good hay eater:lol:

Is there anything else I can do? Obviously I'm concerned about his teeth wearing down if he's not eating much hay.

I have spent the last week making yet a further effort to get Hector to eat hay.

In summary, I had tried:

The hay he came with (meadow)
Readigrass
Timothy
P@h herby harvest
P@h camomile
Dandelion & marigold
Alfalfa.

He just didn't fancy any of them.

However, his tummy seemed a bit upset last week so I have spent hours (literally) trying to force hay upon him.

I have found:

Hand feeding him hay works
He prefers the stalky bits
Mixing a good handful of dandilion salad with hay helps (from sainsburys)
He is too lazy to pick up strands by himself as they "move" away from his grasp too easily so, if I wedge hay in front of him, or put it on his front paws, he'll have a little munch

Slow progress but more than I've seen him eat before.

I've restricted his pellets a little but this hasn't really worked. He's just gorged himself when they were put out which must be bad.

Good luck! I can't promise any of my "findings" will help but you are not alone!

Last edited:
Are his teeth all OK , have they been checked recently to make sure there are no spurs?

It is a real nightmare getting some bunnies to eat hay, I know myself having a fussy bun who is also a dental bun.

I find Green Oat Hay Is a good hay to tempt the most fussiest of buns and dental buns. They are nice soft, green strands and sweet smelling.

My bunnies love INGS hay from hay for pets, Have you tried that?

Sorry I have not been much use, but thought I would try anyway!

Are his teeth all OK , have they been checked recently to make sure there are no spurs?

It is a real nightmare getting some bunnies to eat hay, I know myself having a fussy bun who is also a dental bun.

I find Green Oat Hay Is a good hay to tempt the most fussiest of buns and dental buns. They are nice soft, green strands and sweet smelling.

My bunnies love INGS hay from hay for pets, Have you tried that?

Sorry I have not been much use, but thought I would try anyway!

Yep they're fine, he eats everything else he just seems to turn his nose up at hay. Admittedly the hay doesn't seem as good as it did in May so maybe he'd ujst rather eat pellets and veg :lol:

Back