• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox scare! Any deterrent advice?

DarceyH

Warren Scout
So this morning as I put my buns outside, I saw a young fox staring at me at the back of the garden, I thought I had scared it off, but just now, I looked up and it was sniffing right up against the run! I chased it off, and put the buns to bed (they are usually out till about 4:30 min at the moment, as the foxes tend to come out at 5 earliest if any come out at all) and when they were safely away, I let the dogs run rampant at the back of the garden for a bit.
The fox was rather young, and looked more curious than eager to hurt them, and was easily scared off, unfortunately, the older ones aren't scared of me at all, one tried to come in the house once, and are only mildly scared of the dogs. I almost didn't let them out this morning because of the fox, but I like to have them out every day if it isn't down pouring!

Does anyone have any good ways of keeping foxes away. This is the first time I have seen a fox so close and so interested. Usually they are just in and out using our garden as a path way. When ever I see them I try to shoo them. I'm really worried for winter, when food is harder for them to find... At least my new expensive hutch with attached run will be here on Saturday, and that will be on the patio right next to the house, so will be totally fox proof, but I still want them to be able to hang out on the grass, they are outdoor buns, and this temporary hutch is not really big enough for them to spend the whole day in.

Sorry for the rambling post, but me and the buns are a bit jumpy at the moment...
Also, I heard male urine scared them off, but I don't think my dad would be impressed if I told him that!

Ahhh don't know what to do!!!

Last edited:
I'm confused, are your rabbits indoors? If so there's not really any need to let them out, not every day anyway.

I'm confused, are your rabbits indoors? If so there's not really any need to let them out, not every day anyway.

They live in a hutch outside, but it is right up next to the house, but the back door. They can't come inside as the dogs would bother them, and they are rescues that have always lived outside anyway.

I've had a foxwatch for about 3 years now. I've never seen a fox in our gardens in that time. Cost around £50-something when I bought it I think :?

Don't use bloke pee, it can attract the females... :shock:

Extra mesh? Cover the run over? Do you supervise them while they are in the run? That might be the only way until their new home comes x

Don't use bloke pee, it can attract the females... :shock:

Extra mesh? Cover the run over? Do you supervise them while they are in the run? That might be the only way until their new home comes x

I am almost always out dide with them, and always in the house keepin an eye on them. I was making a cup of tea and only had my eyes away for a seccond :( it makes me wonder if the fox was watching my the entire time :/

You said you are worried about the winter because food will be hard for foxes. But it is just as dangerous now really. Young foxes are just leaving their dens are not particularly experienced at catching food, so they will grab a chance for an easy meal if they can. I would not leave them out unsupervised at all from now on. On the chicken forum I post on people have had chooks taken by foxes in the middle of the day, while they were in the garden with them. It literally takes seconds for a fox to strike and even if you manage to get the bunny off the fox they can die of shock.

I'm not trying to frighten you or lecture you, but now that foxes know that there is a food source in your garden they will be back. Make sure the run and hutch are as secure as possible as they may also trying and break into those.

When I moved house my neighbour warned me that the area is rife with foxes - although mainly rural ones as we live opposite a massive area of woodland with wild bunnies on.

I immediately, even before the bunnies moved house, bought a Foxwatch. I put it on every night without fail and I've never *touchwood* had problems with foxes. I've seen it scare a cat away so I definitely know it works on cats! Obviously it might just be that no foxes have entered my garden at all, but there isn't really any way I would know.

I now have bought another one for the other end of the garden and put both on each night, all my acommodation is very secure but it gives me that added level of security and helps me sleep at night!

I paid £28 incl postage for each one, if you search on eBay there should be a seller selling 'seconds' ones for half the price of the RRP. Both of mine are from there and the only reason they are seconds are a few cosmetic scratches, they work fine :)

You said you are worried about the winter because food will be hard for foxes. But it is just as dangerous now really. Young foxes are just leaving their dens are not particularly experienced at catching food, so they will grab a chance for an easy meal if they can. I would not leave them out unsupervised at all from now on. On the chicken forum I post on people have had chooks taken by foxes in the middle of the day, while they were in the garden with them. It literally takes seconds for a fox to strike and even if you manage to get the bunny off the fox they can die of shock.

I'm not trying to frighten you or lecture you, but now that foxes know that there is a food source in your garden they will be back. Make sure the run and hutch are as secure as possible as they may also trying and break into those.

The new expensive hutch that is arriving Saturday with attached run has been made to be completely fox proof. It will be on paving and right by the back door, I also always place the movable run up against the current one, and will do with the new one, at night. It also has a cover, and I have asked for a door to the pop hole to the run which I can close if I need to.

Don't worry about upsetting me, I can tell you are not saying anything to be mean, and I really appreciate the advice, and the concern. I hope I won't have to rehome my guys, as I love them to bits!

When I moved house my neighbour warned me that the area is rife with foxes - although mainly rural ones as we live opposite a massive area of woodland with wild bunnies on.

I immediately, even before the bunnies moved house, bought a Foxwatch. I put it on every night without fail and I've never *touchwood* had problems with foxes. I've seen it scare a cat away so I definitely know it works on cats! Obviously it might just be that no foxes have entered my garden at all, but there isn't really any way I would know.

I now have bought another one for the other end of the garden and put both on each night, all my acommodation is very secure but it gives me that added level of security and helps me sleep at night!

I paid £28 incl postage for each one, if you search on eBay there should be a seller selling 'seconds' ones for half the price of the RRP. Both of mine are from there and the only reason they are seconds are a few cosmetic scratches, they work fine :)

Thanks! I will defiantly look into getting a fox watch.

I've just been on here looking for advice on cats when I saw this thread - can anyone advise me how to scare cats away? My bunny is an indoor bunny, but I let her out in the garden when I'm home to supervise her and it's not dark or raining. I'm always keeping an eye on her, but the garden is bunny proof so thought I was being over cautious really.

Anyway, I was about to hop in the shower this evening with Slipper playing happily in the back garden when I was taking some pictures of her and I noticed a cat sat on the fence staring at her! I opened the window to scare it off, but it didn't work so I ran downstairs and out the door and luckily scared it away before it did anything. Obviously Slipper is now completely spooked and ran like mad round the garden, stamping for ages. I've not been able to get anywhere near her now, she's so frightened so I sat outside with her until it rained and I opened the back door for her to hop in. She's a bit more chilled out, but I still can't get near her to put her back in the cage and the lounge is not bunny proof, full of wires so I'm a bit clueless what to do now. I just moved my leg as I have pins & needles for staying still for so long and she's shot under my sofa and thumping away for past 5 minutes!

Anyways, any advice on what I should do in future? Can I keep cats out of my garden somehow? I never really thought about it before and connected the two until now, but I think there's 3 or 4 cats that I've seen living on my road (only moved in 2 months ago) so whilst I don't want her to get eaten (obviously!!!!!), it seems a shame to keep her stuck indoors for the rest of her life as she enjoys playing outside doing cute little bunny hops & whatnot. Any tips?

Also, does anybody know if squirrels pose a threat? She was out the other day and a squirrel was sat watching her, flicking his tail and making squeaky noises. Was he curious, do you think, or thinking about attacking her? She's a two year old dwarf lop so not exactly the smallest bunny in the world. I scared him off, but there are also lots of squirrels around (I live in the middle of a wood!)

I've just been on here looking for advice on cats when I saw this thread - can anyone advise me how to scare cats away? My bunny is an indoor bunny, but I let her out in the garden when I'm home to supervise her and it's not dark or raining. I'm always keeping an eye on her, but the garden is bunny proof so thought I was being over cautious really.

Anyway, I was about to hop in the shower this evening with Slipper playing happily in the back garden when I was taking some pictures of her and I noticed a cat sat on the fence staring at her! I opened the window to scare it off, but it didn't work so I ran downstairs and out the door and luckily scared it away before it did anything. Obviously Slipper is now completely spooked and ran like mad round the garden, stamping for ages. I've not been able to get anywhere near her now, she's so frightened so I sat outside with her until it rained and I opened the back door for her to hop in. She's a bit more chilled out, but I still can't get near her to put her back in the cage and the lounge is not bunny proof, full of wires so I'm a bit clueless what to do now. I just moved my leg as I have pins & needles for staying still for so long and she's shot under my sofa and thumping away for past 5 minutes!

Anyways, any advice on what I should do in future? Can I keep cats out of my garden somehow? I never really thought about it before and connected the two until now, but I think there's 3 or 4 cats that I've seen living on my road (only moved in 2 months ago) so whilst I don't want her to get eaten (obviously!!!!!), it seems a shame to keep her stuck indoors for the rest of her life as she enjoys playing outside doing cute little bunny hops & whatnot. Any tips?

Also, does anybody know if squirrels pose a threat? She was out the other day and a squirrel was sat watching her, flicking his tail and making squeaky noises. Was he curious, do you think, or thinking about attacking her? She's a two year old dwarf lop so not exactly the smallest bunny in the world. I scared him off, but there are also lots of squirrels around (I live in the middle of a wood!)

Most cats won't be a threat to her. I would only be concerned about them going for her if she is a dwarf bunny or if the cat is a Maine Coone or Norweigan Forest cat which are huge cats. She is probably spooked because she's never seen a cat that close before and doesn't know if it's friend or foe. Two of my chickens were terrified of my cats when we first got them. Tilly jumped five feet in the air from standing :lol: Once she got used to the idea of them being around she started bullying them! My Luna is a two year old dwarf lop. Jake will occasionally tap her on the nose with his paw, but he knows that if he were to go for her that she could do him a lot of damage so it just wouldn't be worth it- cats aren't silly, and that is why they generally go for little birds and mice that they are much bigger and stronger than.

You can buy various deterrents for cats, but the best thing to keep them out is you yourself getting a cat as he/she will protect his/ her territory. I realise that is isn't practical, so I think one option would be to shoot them with a water pistol. It won't do them any harm but it isn't nice and they will soon associate you with it.

The way that you describe the squirrel behaving suggests to me that you or Slipper have spooked him. That is just the squirrel's way of telling you that he is not happy with the situation. I don't think he poses any threat to the rabbit.

Back