• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

False pregnancy

Lynette

Warren Scout
Hi,

I'm just posting for advice for a friends rabbit. She is currently going through a false pregnancy and has produced milk, building nest etc. There is no way she is pregnant, but has not been spayed. Although really she should be spayed, is this necessary due to the false pregnancy and what if anything should be done about it?

Thanks

Edit: I should also have said that my friend has taken to a vet, who basically didn't have a clue what was going on. So if she does need to go back anyone know of a bunny savvy vet in Staffordshire area?

Last edited:
False pregnancies are common in unspayed does. Leave her to her nest-building for a few days and she'll soon lose interest in it and be back to normal again.

A false pregnancy alone doesn't warrant spaying and she doesn't need to see a vet for it either!

How old is the bunny? If she is a few years old (particularly 5 and above) and this is her first phantom pregnancy then seeing a vet would be advised. It can be signs that something is internally wrong.

Back