• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Losing hope :-( U/D bad news

Inimical Me

Wise Old Thumper
After not using her litter tray and not eating, an admission to the vets and stasis treatment which saw her eating a bit more (but not much, and no indication what the underlying cause might be), Fidget now has very liquid stools (previously they've been soft and malformed but not like this). She won't be syringe fed anymore (she just holds it in her mouth and lets it dribble out) and will only eat nibbles of green things here and there. She's wet and smelly underneath which I feel like my fighting a losing battle with despite cleaning and trimming any matts every day :cry:.

I've been up at 4am every morning giving her stasis meds and metacam and trying to feed her (oh's work means that is the only time in the morning that both of us are here - one to hold her and the other to syringe) and I'm hardly sleeping which is making everything, including work, unbearable.

She still has some fight in her (running away and kicking out at me when I put her down), but she's getting thinner and is wobbly on her leg (she only uses 3 legs after a fracture for those who don't know), and we're off to see the vet this morning who hopefully will so a bit more investigation than the last one. If I can make it through this day without dissolving into a hysterical wreck I'll be surprised.

Last edited:
Oh no, I can imagine how stressful it is, it is a good sign she still has some fight in her...everything crossed this vet can help xx

I am sorry she is struggling :cry:

I would ask the Vet about running a full blood profile, in particular checking her liver function.

I really hope the Vet can help xx

So sorry that Fidget is poorly :(

Sending vibes and hugs for Fidget and you and I hope the vet visit helps xxx

Thanks everyone.

She's been admitted. She's lost 200g, she's only about 1.8kg when she's chunky and she was 1.66kg last time, so it's a lot for her and she does feel like a bag of bones. She's anaemic, (which they didn't tell me last time) and it's quite bad judging by the colour of her mucous membranes. She's also dehydrated, so although I have seen her drinking she normally has loads of veg so it's obviously not enough.

They're going to repeat all of the bloods and re-examine and try and get some food and hydration into her. I'm happier with her there than with me since I obviously wasn't doing a great job. At this point I would just like to find the underlying cause. If, god forbid, whatever it is isn't treatable then at least I'll know I've done everything possible for her.

Also, I need to stop crying on the bus home from the vets. I'm here so often they're probably thinking "Oh, there's the crazy bus crying lady again!"

Last edited:
Sounds like she's in the best place right now and you can get some rest. I hope the vet can get to the bottom of the problems and you both feel better soon. xx

Awww Sam,I'm sorry to hear she is still not well, you have done a fantastic job looking after her. Hopefully with these new blood tests they will find the problem and be able to help her. Big hugs to you xxx

You poor thing. :( Really hope they find some answers for you and she perks up after hydration etc.

Poor Fidget, I'm sorry to hear she is not doing so well. Fingers crossed the vet will be able to make a break through and put you mind at ease, ((hugs))

I hope she's okay, hopefully the vet will know what's going on and sort it out lots of hugs for you both xxx

Thanks so much for your support everyone.

We have answers and they're not good. In a nutshell, when she broke her leg the x-rays showed an abnormality with her hip which they thought may be congenital. Looking back at the initial x-rays and comparing to the x-ray taken last week, the problem has worsened considerably. From what I can gather, it appears to be some kind of mass which has grown and is affecting her spine, which is subsequently affecting her ability to walk, control her bladder etc. There's nothing they can do :cry:. Obviously I won't let her suffer so we can only pts.

Trying to act like a normal person at work and failing :cry:. I'm here til 8. I have to tell my o/h yet and then ring the vet. Distraught.

Back