• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seizures and and Anesthetic

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
If a rabbit has had a seizure is it safe for him to undergo anesthetic?
I have booked Paddy in for his castration on Thursday and although the nurse seemed fine with that, I wondered after if anesthetic can increase the risk or aggravate the possibility of a seizure. I'm a bit nervous now but he needs neutering. He is humping, spraying and honking non stop and Maisie whom I am trying to bond him to hates that kind of behaviour.

Does anyone have any advice or experience?

As to that we don't know but he did get a 28 course of panacur and has been fine since that was started. If it was a bout of E.C. could that put him at risk?

I think any Rabbit who has a history of seizures is going to be a somewhat higher risk for a GA. But I have had a few 'seizure prone' Rabbits who have sailed through more than one GA with no adverse reaction.

I would ask to speak with the Vet who is going to carry out the surgery and he/she should be able to offer you reassurance.

I think any Rabbit who has a history of seizures is going to be a somewhat higher risk for a GA. But I have had a few 'seizure prone' Rabbits who have sailed through more than one GA with no adverse reaction.

I would ask to speak with the Vet who is going to carry out the surgery and he/she should be able to offer you reassurance.

Thanks Jane, we had already planned to speak to the vet just to make sure. Paddy only had the one seizure so far and that was over a month ago. Hopefully he will be ok.

I don't know if this helps at all - probably not, but I mention it just in case - please, please watch out for E.Cuniculi. Every time I see that word, it strikes terror in my heart after losing my beloved Dexter to it, despite all my best efforts.

I really don't want to frighten you, I mean it as a friendly warning as I wouldn't wish what I went through on anyone. I thought Dexter had a seizure one day, and even now I'm not sure what it was, whether it was a seizure, or him falling over and struggling to get up as he did so frequently afterwards thanks to the E.Cuniculi. I never had him neutered as I knew he wouldn't survive it, but he had full blown E.Cuniculi. If yours was coming down with it, but the Panacur cured it in time, maybe you will be ok. I don't know as I didn't experience it, but if you go ahead with it, please be vigilant for any signs of illness and take him to the vet as soon as you suspect something, not just afterwards, but at all times throughout his life. It's far better to be wrong and feel stupid and paranoid than to wait until you know for certain and it be too late. From what I've read about E.Cuniuli (I'm no expert, but I read everything I could find in the four months I had with Dexy) it strikes at times of stress or weakened immune system. So if you do go ahead with the neuter, please please please watch him like a hawk afterwards. I couldn't save Dex, but if I can help one person protect their bunny from it, I'll be a lot happier. And definitely make sure you put him on the 9 day Panacur course every 3 months as a precaution. Maybe I'm overreacting to seeing E.Cuniculi mentioned in your post, but I just felt I had to say something, I really hope I haven't scared you or offended you, I'm trying to protect you and your bunny from that nightmare I went through.

I don't know if this helps at all - probably not, but I mention it just in case - please, please watch out for E.Cuniculi. Every time I see that word, it strikes terror in my heart after losing my beloved Dexter to it, despite all my best efforts.

I really don't want to frighten you, I mean it as a friendly warning as I wouldn't wish what I went through on anyone. I thought Dexter had a seizure one day, and even now I'm not sure what it was, whether it was a seizure, or him falling over and struggling to get up as he did so frequently afterwards thanks to the E.Cuniculi. I never had him neutered as I knew he wouldn't survive it, but he had full blown E.Cuniculi. If yours was coming down with it, but the Panacur cured it in time, maybe you will be ok. I don't know as I didn't experience it, but if you go ahead with it, please be vigilant for any signs of illness and take him to the vet as soon as you suspect something, not just afterwards, but at all times throughout his life. It's far better to be wrong and feel stupid and paranoid than to wait until you know for certain and it be too late. From what I've read about E.Cuniuli (I'm no expert, but I read everything I could find in the four months I had with Dexy) it strikes at times of stress or weakened immune system. So if you do go ahead with the neuter, please please please watch him like a hawk afterwards. I couldn't save Dex, but if I can help one person protect their bunny from it, I'll be a lot happier. And definitely make sure you put him on the 9 day Panacur course every 3 months as a precaution. Maybe I'm overreacting to seeing E.Cuniculi mentioned in your post, but I just felt I had to say something, I really hope I haven't scared you or offended you, I'm trying to protect you and your bunny from that nightmare I went through.

Thank you for this. I am so sorry about your poor boy :(

I really appreciate your advice too. Paddy had a seizure over a month ago, he was distressed and in pain so we rushed him to the vet immediately and he received a steroid injection which I think saved his life. He was then prescribed panacur and that course ended on August 2nd. He has been fine ever the day after he received the injection and went back to his normal self very quickly. He is also quite young and strong so I am hoping he will be ok. I am worried but I do feel he has to be neutered. He is starting to become a bit aggressive, he is spraying and humping my arms and legs :oops: And I have a neutered female I want to bond him to but she hates all the honking and sexual behaviour on his part.
I think it was either a bout of E.C that he had or a seizure brought on by trauma. He is a terrific runner and he did some incredible zooming around the run prior to the seizure and he did bump into a plastic tunnel and maybe the metal run wall. So because of that I'll never be sure what the cause was :? I just hope everything will be ok. We'll speak to the vet at length and if all goes well during the op but he starts to get ill after then we won't hesitate to go back. There is nothing I won't do for him. I'll keep you all updated though as to his progress and probably beg for vibes on Thursday.

Pip had a seizure (she is part lion head and it may be either genetics or something else that caused it) last year in the high heat of summer just days before Mimzy got head tilt. We still have no cause for her seizure, but she went through a dental a few months ago and came through fine.
I think each bunny should be evaluated according to his/her physical profile though. Some bunnies do well, others have hidden problems or issues. It really depends.

I hope if you go through with the GA that all will go well. xx

ETA: Pip is about 6-7 years old, btw.

Back