• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

messy rabbit

spud1

New Kit
Hi. My children have had jack the rabbit for about 7 years now. He was 6 months old when we first got him. He has been in perfect health untik recently. I noticed that for a few months he has been messing himself. He stinks of wee and pooh. We have not changed his food. I have been cleaning him as much as I can. Today , we went to clean him and noticed tiny maggots. He was bathed immediately. Can anyone please offer any advice?

If there are maggots he needs to see a vet ASAP in case any have got inside him. There may be an underlying health issue which is making him dirty so I would discuss that with the vet too.

Hi. My children have had jack the rabbit for about 7 years now. He was 6 months old when we first got him. He has been in perfect health untik recently. I noticed that for a few months he has been messing himself. He stinks of wee and pooh. We have not changed his food. I have been cleaning him as much as I can. Today , we went to clean him and noticed tiny maggots. He was bathed immediately. Can anyone please offer any advice?

Please get him to a Vet NOW

He has Flystrike which is usually FATAL :cry:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

Hi

I don't mean to alarm you but it sounds like you need to get him to the vet immediately! Are the maggots on him or in his hutch?

If the maggots were on him, he needs to see a vet immediately, unfortunately the maggots eat into the skin and washing alone isn't enough to remove them. The vet can also give you some spray/liquid that you apply to the skin/fur to stop any eggs hatching which will help prevent it happening again.

There are a few reasons why this may have started, his diet might not be suiting him now he's getting older and his nutritional needs have changed. Let us know what you are feeding him at the moment. It might also be a mobility issue, ie he can't position himself correctly to toilet because something like arthritis is effecting his movement. A general check up and the vet would certainly be a good first step to working out the problem. They can also shave the area for you and make it much easier for him and you to keep clean.

i hope you managed to get bunny to the vet in time and he makes a quick recovery x

ETA just realised how old this post is! oops :oops:

Back