• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you tell a rabbit's age if you don't know when it was born?

Patty

New Kit
I have a female dutch rabbit that I usually mate with my male dutch, but lately she has not been getting pregnant. I don't breed often but I would like to know if she is to old to have any more kits. When I bought her I forgot to ask the breeder how old she was now I'm wondering if the last litter she had was the last litter she could have. Is it possible to tell her age now?

I have a female dutch rabbit that I usually mate with my male dutch, but lately she has not been getting pregnant. I don't breed often but I would like to know if she is to old to have any more kits. When I bought her I forgot to ask the breeder how old she was now I'm wondering if the last litter she had was the last litter she could have. Is it possible to tell her age now?

How long have you had her ?

If you dont have papers for her how do you know her genetic history :?

Infertility in a previously fertile Doe can be indicative uterine adenocarcinoma (uterine cancer) so a Veterinary check is definitely needed even in the absence of any other symptoms.

I don't think it is possible to really know a rabbit's age. You can generally tell a rabbit that is under about 6 months as they still have those baby features, but it is very hard with older bunnies.

Without meaning to be rude, it doesn't sound like you know much about your bunny and her history if you don't know her age, so breeding probably isn't a great idea. Really to breed you need to know everything about both bunnies' health, ages, and parentage (many generations back as well), so that you know you are not breeding bad traits into the kits. Here is a good thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

I don't advocate breeding anyway (many, many bunnies are in rescues waiting for homes at the moment), so why not consider neutering both your male and female rabbits and bond them so they can live together all the time :)

Does your rabbit have a ring or tatoo for identification?

Fertility issues are often associated with health issues rather than age. Rabbits can breed quite old although it's not safe for them to do so (high mortality rate).

I have had her for almost one year, and I don't have any papers, I just bought her from a small pet store. But if she had cancer would she any other symptoms? I don't breed regularly or often I just let her run around with her mate, and sometimes they have kits. But she has good healthy kits, she births the best kits that any other rabbit I have ever owned has birthed, they are always fat and healthy. So I know that she does not have any genetic problem.

I have had her for almost one year, and I don't have any papers, I just bought her from a small pet store. But if she had cancer would she any other symptoms? I don't breed regularly or often I just let her run around with her mate, and sometimes they have kits. But she has good healthy kits, she births the best kits that any other rabbit I have ever owned has birthed, they are always fat and healthy. So I know that she does not have any genetic problem.

The genetic problems might not show until they are older (this could be dental disease etc). I'm not saying that the kits will definitely have issues, just that you may not see them presenting if you are rehoming the babies.

I think as Jane suggested a trip to the vet would be in order for your doe. If you don't know her age, she could have reached the age where uterine cancer is common. It is said that 85% of female rabbits will develop uterine cancer by the age of 5 if they are not spayed.

Was she an adult or baby when you got her?

Uterine cancer doesn't really have any outward signs other than fertility issues, most people don't spot it until it's spread and effected other organs or it's in very late stages and the rabbit is thin and obviously unwell.

Do you want to breed or is it just a side effect of having two rabbits? :D If you had her spayed that would solve any potential cancer issue and mean you wouldn't have to keep finding homes for the offspring.

She was an adult when I got her, and I like breeding, I just don't do it regularly. I have thought of spaying her, but I don't really have any reasons to do so, and I am not very interested in spending that much money.

She was an adult when I got her, and I like breeding, I just don't do it regularly. I have thought of spaying her, but I don't really have any reasons to do so, and I am not very interested in spending that much money.

I apologize for sounding sharp, but surely your "reason to do so" would be to prevent your bunny developing uterine cancer!

Keeping your rabbit happy and healthy for as long as possible is a very good reason to spend a bit of money :wave:

welcome to the forum, I would reconsider speying of your rabbit, as mentioned uterine cancer is major killer of does aged 5 and upwards, also she could then safely play with her mate and maybe even bond and live together

also there are lots of rabbits unwanted n rescue centres, that are abandoned, which people buy when cute and babies and then abandon when they realise a rabbit isn't for them

your "reason to do so" would be to prevent your bunny developing uterine cancer

I agree this is a very good reason.

I was fostering an older bunny a couple of years ago. She was unspayed, so we had her spayed, and sure enough her uterus was quite badly affected by cancer :(. Thankfully though by spaying her the vet did managed to remove the cancer (I had her X-rayed to see if it had spread to to other organs), but not all bunnies are so lucky.

Even if you didn't intend spaying her at first, I do think you need to take this bunny to the vet ASAP, and see what their view is.

The British Rabbit Council: www.thebrc.org might be able to give you more advice.

At some point you're going to have to retire her, which either means keeping them apart permanently or spaying - rabbits usually retire around 4 years old, and should only be allowed approx. 2 litters per year for health reasons.

In your position, I'd probably say well she's done well and given me lots of good babies, I'll spay her and let her enjoy retirement.

Perhaps you could use some of the money you have had in exchange for baby bunnies to spay your bunny? :wave: If you don't want to spay her because of money reasons, what will you do if she becomes ill and needs to see the vet? Vet bills don't come cheap :(

you have been given a reason now though havent you? there are high high risks or cancer if you dont neuter her, Cancer is a very painful way to die......

please neuter her........:cry:

Last edited:
Back