• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ever Re-home an Ex Breeding Rabbit?

Clare-uk

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here has re-homed an older ex breeders bunny before? Or has has any views on this subject. (I'm looking for a lady for my Jazz but all buns around me seemed to be bonded which would mean a trio and I've not bonded a trio before)

I have, but I think you will find that the majority of people on here do not agree with giving money to a Breeder. Although I actually did not do so on all but 1 occasion. The others were 'Free to Good Home' or came to me via a Rescue who took them from the Breeder in the first place.

I've taken a few ex breeder buns - all have come with health problems caused by being overweight/being confined/being kept on the wrong bedding etc etc. We are assured there are plenty of good breeders out there who should have healthy ex breeding buns available - I've just never met one:lol:

My Bridge Bun Furby came from a breeder.

There was a large rescue operation in Lymington as the breeder had let things get out of hand and could no longer cope. Sadly many of the piggies had to be put to sleep but I think some of the buns are probably still alive and well.

Furby was a fantastic bunny. I just offered to rehome one bun and he was chosen for me and was absolutely gorgeous in looks and temperament. I soon found he was completely deaf and his teeth were a total mess and he needed regular dentals.

He had mites when he came to me as well. I had him neutered as soon as my vet would allow (initially he said he wanted Furby to build himself up a bit first) and bonded him to Faye and they lived a very happy life together.

Sadly, Furby was often poorly - he had abscesses in his jaw a couple of times and later developed snuffles and from that had a head tilt and he died in his run with his beloved Faye.

I still miss him loads - he was a very gentle bun and never once tried to bite me, despite me having to inject him regularly when he was ill. He also just allowed me to put the nebuliser mask on him and sat on my lap totally relaxed. His trust in me was humbling and I so hope he doesn't feel I let him down because he couldn't get through his illnesses. He fought so hard too.

If I was in a position to take on any more buns (which I am not financially - Furby wasn't insured and cost me between £700 and £800 just in the last few months with his snuffles) I wouldn't hesitate in rehoming a former breeding bun but I would definitely insure him or her and wouldn't pay a breeder for him/her.

To be honest these are the kind of replies I was expecting! I'm guessing this is the same even if its exhibition ex breeders? Buns need to be given more protection so they can't be treated so badly. Poor things they are such a joy if you put the love and time in.

My search for Jazz's hutchmate will continue then (I had to be dragged away from two flemish giants at the rescue centre but that may have been a bit much for my small boy & think my cats would have been a bit surprised too :shock: :lol: )

I have had 2 ex-breeder bunnies. Both were free to good home. Both were nervous, over weight and not used to out time or a decent sixed hutch. Unfortunately Cassie passed away during her spay but Bramble quickly bonded with one of our singles. She was a lovely bunny but we did continue to struggle with her weight.

Strangely the breeder was has been the only "free to good home" advertiser who messaged us after we adopted them to see how they were.

Angel had been rescued by a breeder and from a breeder, if that makes sense. She was a happy little girl and enjoyed her life, but was only one when I got her (the original owner had been about to "neck" ie kill her. :evil:). Maybe because she was young she didn't have huge health probs. I got her spayed without any issues. :wave:

Molly was breed at least twice but not by a breeder. She is a sweetie (although does not like been picked up). She and her partner are devoted to each other. x

Back