• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh god no Bella isn't eating U/D

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
It's her teeth, I'm fairly certain. She's not eating she acts like she wants to (picks food up and has a nibble) but can't, she just drops it, she seems to be in a lot of pain as well I have no idea how long she hasn't been eating for but she seems really quiet :cry:

What do I do? I can't get her to a vet as they're closed and the emergency vet is even less rabbit savvy than the others :cry:

Can't stop crying I'm so scared

Last edited:
Try mashing up some pellets with a bit of hot water or mashing up some veg to help until the morning until you can get to the vet. Good luck.

You could also try getting some organic baby food (if anywhere is open) or critical care if you have any. Mashed banana with crushed pellet maybe. Hope things improve until you can get to a vet.

I've tried giving her mashed banana with some porridge oats mixed in (didn't have any pellets) and she's not interested at all :cry:

What does she usually eat? Soften that with water.

Is she still pooping?

A non rabbit savvy vet can still give you metacam, fluids and a gut mobility drug, which will tide you over.

Some kind of vet may be better than none :( sending lots of vibes for Bella and hope you manage to sort something out xx

Has she had problems with her teeth before? Or is this totally new? It must be so awful having no decent vets near you, it just adds to the stress :( is she drinking at all? If not, try syringing some water. Have you any metacam?

She's never had any problems with her teeth before as she's such a good hay eater :( Could be gas or something as well I suppose but it's just the way she's acting that's making it suspicious, the whole trying to eat and then dropping it thing :(

When Boris stopped eating the emergency vet literally told me just to wait for him to die as he'd stopped eating so had clearly given up already :cry: So for some reason I don't think they'll help this time either

I'll try syringe feeding her some water and banana, she did have a little drink a while ago. Haven't seen any poops :cry:

I agree that any vet is better than no vet, they can hopefully at least rule out a blockage so you know it's safe to syringe feed. Sending lots of vibes for Bella xx

She ate a tiny bit of dandelion and apple earlier, would she do that if she had a blockage?

Emergency vets here are really awful, I've called them so many times about Boris and they just refused to even see him as they "couldn't do anything" (yes even when he had normal problems not related to snuffles)

I just get the "it's just a rabbit" attitude from them and nothing else, no advice, nothing

Attempts at syringe feeding have been unsuccessful so far, she puts up such a fight and it ends up everywhere except in her mouth :cry:

I've never felt so helpless in my entire life :cry: I just don't know what to do and I hate myself for not noticing something was wrong today

Encouraging her to drink, move about and clean out her litter tray so you can monitor what she produces. Keep offering her different foods - it can be weird what they'll pick to eat or sometimes they'll just have a few bites of each.

Just been out in the pouring rain at 2:30 AM picking more dandelion leaves for her. She ate them all! :D

Kept her in my bedroom for a while to monitor food intake etc. but she started nibbling the rug and trying to escape from the pen so she's back in her room now :) Went straight to the litter tray and was sitting there nibbling some hay when I left. It was probably gas and not her teeth because she certainly doesn't seem to have any trouble chewing now, also she has no history of dental problems at all. I just instantly thought that's what it was because she kept dropping food/not finishing it which is a classical sign isn't it? Maybe she just felt a bit bloated, bless her.

Going to bed now, mum will be up in a few hours so will be able to check on her. Thanks for your support :love:

glad she has started to eat again. it does sound like she might have had a bit of gas. vibes she continues to eat. :wave:

Back