• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits back legs wobbly 24 hours after dental operation, any ideas?

Chel

New Kit
Hi All,

Not often I write on this forum but wondering how many rabbits have suffered with mobility 24 hours after having an operation?
Waiting for my vet to get back to me but in the meantime I thought id ask the question.

Rabbit had minor dental work to remove a spur on his tooth. SInce I brought him home he seemed to be extremely wobbly on his bak legs as if they were paralysed? As time has gone on he has got a lot more mobile and can bounce around, but is far from 100% still wobbly and still cant turn to lick his back end. Thinking back issue? Anyone any experience of this?

Some temporary 'wobbliness' can occur but usually fully resolves within about 12ish hours

If you are thinking he has hurt his back then you need to restrict his movement until a Vet examines him. Otherwise there is a risk of further damage to his spine.

If you pinch the toes on his hind feet do you get a response ?

Some temporary 'wobbliness' can occur but usually fully resolves within about 12ish hours

If you are thinking he has hurt his back then you need to restrict his movement until a Vet examines him. Otherwise there is a risk of further damage to his spine.

If you pinch the toes on his hind feet do you get a response ?

Hi,
Thanks for your reply its appreciated. He does have feeling in his toes.
He spent the day at the vets yesterday being monitored. Seems that during sedating him in the back muscle he kicked out at the nurse and caught him. They seem to think its a muscle pull, ive been resting him since in the top section of hes hutch. He is being given a fair dose of Metacam every morning so he is quite sedated. He is also eating but not with the same healthy appetite as he use to.
I so hope it is a muscle pull and am on instruction to give him a week to recover. My vet is extremely helpful so i will keep intouch with her every few days. Have you experienced anything like this before, do you have experience or knowledge of the recovery time for something like this? Not to worry if you dont, really appreciate you responding in the first instance.

Back