• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it too late too be a good owner ?

Daffodils

New Kit
I got my two rabbits maybe hmmm , three or four years ago and I haven't exactly been the best at caring for them.

They've only been to the vet twice and that was over a year ago, only one of them (the male) is spayed/neutered (or whatever it's called!!!) now the whole vet thing isn't my fault because my mum won't take them to the vet to have vaccination etc because she said she doesn't have time and I'm so worried about them :( I would take them but I can't drive.

Like most rabbits they hate to be held and trimming their claws is a nightmare. We were shown how to by the vet when they were little and have done it a few times but flipping them over and wrapping them in a towel doesn't help it just makes them panic. We've basically just stopped doing it now as we're so scared of scaring them in case they have a heart attack or hurt their spines. Their claws haven't been trimmed for so long and they hop around fine it seems but I'm still extremely worried.

As we have two rabbits they don't seem lonely and get along very well but they don't like us or really have a bond with us. Sometimes when we bring food out they'll hop over to us and let you stoke them but that's about it and even then they're very jumpy. Occasionally I go and sit outside and sit and offer treats but they never seem to like me more or come and get the treat and run away.

We tried to make them indoor rabbits and move their run indoors but they never seemed happy so we moved them back outside. I worry that they're bored because they don't really have any toys apart from really old ones :(

There's also other things like I probably don't clean there cage enough. We are going to get a new hutch and with that I've decided it's a fresh start. What do you recommend?

Please don't tell me to find them a new home, I really do love them and want to be a better owner , I'm so ashamed admitting all this I'm in tears right now :L do you think it's too late and they'll never like me as now they're pretty much wild rabbits.

I think you're brave to admit this! :thumbup:

Good for you for recognising issues and wanting to correct them. Im on a smartphone atm but the others will be along any moment to give helpful words! X

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Its never too late to be a good owner as long as you put in practice what you are saying and admitting you have been not a very good one is a very good start to being a great pet owner!
Could you get a taxi to the vets? Or a friend/relative? They really should have their vacs and check up with a nail trim would be a good idea to start.
You really need to spend a lot of time with them to get them to trust you then maybe you will find trimming their nails easier also making sure they are healthy as you cant do this from looking at them. Fussing them is a good way of feeling for any lumps and bumps they may have so it is a must you need to be able to touch them and you will only achieve this by spending lots of time with them. :wave:

It's never too late :D I bet most people on this forum wouldn't be happy with the way their first rabbits lived now. It's all about improving and doing the best you can :) Stick around on the forum and see how people on here treat their buns- it'll give you some ideas on toys, bonding with them, the best vets, the best hutches etc. :) Before you get a new hutch, definitely look on this website to check that you get one that's suitable- http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm
and this one is great for inspiration (although some of the set ups are bigger or more expensive than people can do, it's nice to look at them for ideas) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing

I know it's hard to get stuff for buns when you are relying on family for support, so for home-made toys you can give them kitchen roll tubes stuffed with hay and some pellets mixed in. You can get them some jingly cat toy balls to chuck around for £1 from poundland or a supermarket.

Good luck!

Welcome to RU, I hope to see some photos of your buns soon!! :D

Its not to late, you have realised your mistakes and you can put it right, these rabbits are still young they potentially have still more than half of their life to go. Admitting that you need to make it better is a very brave thing to do, and you will get lots of help on here I'm sure :)

You say that your mum won't take them to the vets and you can't drive, but is there a bus route that stops near the vets? Or perhaps it is in walking distance? Failing that a lot of vets do a pick up and drop of service, or will if you explain the situation, and then there is always the option of home visits - home visits may cost a little bit more but they are also less stressful for the rabbits and very convenient when it comes to vaccinations and general health checks. I don't know if you are an adult or a child, but if you can save the money over a few weeks to get the other rabbit neutered and them both vaccinated that would be a good start to their new beginning.

Can you see their claws? Maybe encourage them to put their front paws on the mesh for a treat and have a quick feel. If they are active it might not be an issue. Get the vet to show you another technique that could work. It's hard to get the feeling for it but being calm and firm, and having a helping hand is the best way.

As for the rabbits not really bonding with you, take it slowly, these things take time, sit in the run with them and read a book out loud so they become used to your voice, scatter their hay and pellets around you and over your knee, rabbits are a sucker for food. Don't touch them just yet but let them get slowly used to you being there, they will learn you are no threat.

Even better, you say you want to get a new hutch, why not go for a 6x4 shed instead? It provides a good amount of space for a pair of rabbits and the additional height means you can sit with them while they eat without getting soaked in the rain or feeling cold in the winter. It would ensure that they get your attention year round without it feeling like a chore to you.

As for cleaning, litter trained them! There is lots of advice about it on here and it makes life so much easier, they will do most of their mess in there and it can be cleaned out quickly and easily everyday. Also out lino down on the hutch/shed floor, this is super easy to clean (my shed takes all of five minutes thanks to lino) brush out the mess daily, and give it a quick mop with warm water, then once every week or two mop it down with pet safe disinfectant.

Toys don't have to be expensive either, save all of your cardboard loo rolls, old catalogues, cardboard boxes, plant pots etc and stuff them with hay, herbs and treats, it's free, makes use of things you have lying around and best of all the rabbits will love it.

I hope this has helped, well done for admitting there are things that need changing, im sure you will become a lovely owner :)

It's never to late to change. The fact you have realised you need to make changes is the first step for the better. Will leave the other more experienced members to help you as i am still learning myself. But i noticed you said about toys they don't need to be shop bought. Below is a link to cheap home made rabbit toys. My lot love the toilet roll tubes, boxes and a paper bag filled with hay.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?303726-Rabbit-toy-making-and-enrichment-activities

Well done for admitting you want to be a better owner :D

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/blue...cm_re=barilliance-_-up sell-_-product details This is currently on offer in P@H if you have one nearby. For £80 it really isn't a bad deal - just make sure you attach a long run on it!

You could also look into getting a playhouse or shed - these can be easier for you to clean and it gives them more space to play. Also better for shelter against the elements etc :D

Don't be so hard on yourself, you're here and looking for ways to improve your bunnies' lives - that's brilliant :thumb: I've had bunnies for over 20 years and am still learning and trying to improve things for them, it never ends! :lol:

Hi
With regards to clipping claws can you not put the bunny on someone's knee and if they hold them still you may be able to grab hold of a paw and trim them that way. If you let the bun snuggle it's face in to the person they may be calmer than trying to hold them on their back.
Maybe if you try clipping a bit off over a few days rather than taking loads off at once it may be easier as well.
Also, where abouts are you? If someone lives near to you they may be able to help you.
Kate

Everyone's advice has been really good and well done to you for wanting to change things. Bunnies can live to 10 or maybe even older, so there's many many years ahead of then- well worth improving things!

About cutting their nails, it's not something I'm good at. But if you provide enough stuff to keep them worn down they don't need doing too often, so why don't you plan one big vet trip for them both to get checked and vaccinated and get them trimmed then. Some vets charge a bit extra, but not usually too much. That may be easier this time until your bunnies get used to you! :wave:

It's never too late!
Maybe someone on RU lives near you and could become your 'bunny mentor'.
Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can make some suggestions and also be an extra pair of hands to help you out with claw clipping, bunny health checks etc.
I'd love to help but am in NZ!
I do think it would be good to get the buns along to a vet who is good with rabbits. Maybe start a thread to find one in your area?
All the best, at least you have the inclination to improve things for your rabbits.

Thank you so much for alll the lovely responses, I was worried people would be mad at me!

Fist of all I convinced my mum to drive the rabbits to the vets but that won't be for a few weeks

You said something about putting things in the hutch to keep their claws short, what kind of things would you put in ? Do u have to trim their claws at all if you do this. I'm worried mainly about this as my rabbits are very big and I'm quite small and there's no way I can cut them myself but I don't really have anyone to help me.

I absolutely adore the shed idea as its always raining where I am (cambridgeshire, england) and it really feels like a chore sitting out in the rain. However my gardens small and itd be expensive so haven't got much hope of convincing my mum to do that as I'm only a teenager so I have to un everything by her first but I could try earning some money which might help.

Any other suggestions of how to bond with them ?

Sorry for typos I'm on my phone

Thank you xxx

whereabouts in Cambridgeshire are you? There are quite a few of us on here that live around Cambs - so perhaps you could visit us for ideas?

I would be happy to help with ideas and inspiration - and I am sure others would as well.

Depending where you are there are also some excellent rabbit vets!! (and alas also some awful ones in different places!!)

its never too late, but I would get the female spayed as females have high risks of uterine cancer if they are not spayed

The vacs are very important as vhd and myxomatosis are awful diseases that can be deadly to rabbits...

whereabouts in Cambridgeshire are you? There are quite a few of us on here that live around Cambs - so perhaps you could visit us for ideas?

I would be happy to help with ideas and inspiration - and I am sure others would as well.

Depending where you are there are also some excellent rabbit vets!! (and alas also some awful ones in different places!!)

Wow, what an excellent offer! Perhaps you could take your mum with you to give her some ideas?

Thank you again x

I live in st neots :)

Thanks for info but I'm still wondering about nails and whether you really can 'wear them down'

Thank you xxx

What's their run on. My permanent runs are on slabs and the buns in those sit-ups need their nails trimming much less than the buns on grass. It's also a good defence against predators too. Of course it's nice for them to have a bit of grass but I just grow some in trays for them to munch.

Hi Daffodil,

I'm in a similar situation to you. I got my first rabbit when I was 7 or 8 because my friends had one and I wanted one too. I didn't really know much about them and so not surprisingly she hated me. She bit me, growled at me, ran away from me, so I stopped bothering with her and my dad took over. I tried again with another rabbit a few years later when I was about 13 or 14, but hadn't learned much in the meantime so nothing changed. I got another one at 15 who was a house rabbit and lived in my bedroom, but she was indifferent to me. I gave up on bunnies until my former OH wanted one when I was 19 or so and I helped him with his and tried again with another one, but he made me rehome him as he thumped in the mornings and woke him up all the time.

It wasn't until I got Dexter 2 years ago today actually that I "clicked" with a rabbit. I'll summarise asI get very emotional when speaking about him and I recently wrote the whole story up under his own thread in the rainbow bridge section. But it was after he died that I got Slipper, my current bunny.

Trying to get Slipper to be more affectionate like Dexy, I've found that despite thinking I knew how to care for bunnies, I actually know very little and I feel like Slipper is my first rabbit in some ways. So whilst I will leave any advice to more experienced people on this site, I just wanted to say I know how you feel. I'm learning about the importance of vaccinations, what you should and shouldn't feed them, how to gain their trust etc etc. I too have found people on this site very friendly and none judgemental, which is really lovely. Without going into details, I have personal issues and people have always terrified me in case they judge me. I also keep snakes and once braved a reptile forum - never again. Some of the things on there were awful! If you admitted a mistake, you were slaughtered and even if someone disagreed with you, it got nasty very quickly. So I keep off those now and most of my friends in the snake world do too for the same reason. Anyway, I digress, apologies. I meant to explain that I was afraid to admit on here that I keep snakes as well, fearing people would automatically jump to conclusions that I keep them for snake food etc, which I don't, so when people didn't judge me for keeping two species in the same house (although they never ever meet!) that are natural enemies, it was such a relief and I feel a lot more relaxed on here. It was very brave of you to admit you haven't been the best owner, but I echo others responses that it's never too late and wanting to change is the best start of all. I live in Sheffield, so I can't personally assist you, but I wish you lots of luck and that soon you and your bunnies are the best of friends. Slipper and I are still learning about each other, but we're getting there and I'm loving her more and more with each positive step we take :)

Thank you again x

I live in st neots :)

Thanks for info but I'm still wondering about nails and whether you really can 'wear them down'

Thank you xxx

St Neots is relatively close to us (we are off the A1 about 10 mins south of Peterborough). You are very very welcome to visit us - either with your mother or I can come and collect you (I am female and perfectly safe and your mother and yourself can check me out beforehand via here or via my own website www.twigsway.com).

I can show you our accommodations for all our rabbits and give you some ideas and health tips.

Use the link on my website to email me if you would like this - or PM me on here.

St Neots is relatively close to us (we are off the A1 about 10 mins south of Peterborough). You are very very welcome to visit us - either with your mother or I can come and collect you (I am female and perfectly safe and your mother and yourself can check me out beforehand via here or via my own website www.twigsway.com).

I can show you our accommodations for all our rabbits and give you some ideas and health tips.

Use the link on my website to email me if you would like this - or PM me on here.

What a lovely offer :love::love:

Dont be too hard on yourself Daffodils...you want to change things and thats brilliant :love::love:

Back