• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloat/stasis/gas triggers

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
Hi Folks
Periodically (every 2 to 6 months ish) Orinoco has a mild tummy episode. It's always on a weekend, he'll be ok all day then refuses food, looks uncomfortable etc. and has to see the emergency vet. Within an hour of metacam, zantac and metaclop being administered he is eating again and back to normal.
Is it likely he has some sort of trigger? They always eat the same (hay, spring greens, celery, excel) so it's not a particular food doing it. We've thought before it could be stress but there's been nothing out of the ordinary happen. It also seems strange that he has never done it on a weekday, it is always on a Saturday night. I know greens can be gassy but it's always their veg tea he refuses so he will have eaten a few nuggets and hay prior to it happening rather than the greens. He also barely gets a look in with the greens as Madam troughs them all.
Thanks

What time of day does bun eat? X

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

They have constant hay, nuggets are breakfast (typically around half 7 to 8 o'clock but sometimes earlier on a weekday and Noces doesn't eat many) greens are for tea at between half 6 and half 7. Noces eats about 90% hay which is always there.

What are his poos like prior to and just after an episode ?

How much does he drink ?

Fine and loads. He pooed right before I rang the vets. He looked uncomfortable doing it (lifted his back end up) but they were round golden and crumbly and there were about 8. He has model poos because he's such a good hay eater. There's no abnormal poos this morning. They have a large bowl of water and both drink plenty. He has done it before three or four days after he's been in at the vets whilst Scarlet has her teeth done so we've put that down to stress but this time there is absolutely nothing.

I have often noted he seems to have these episodes when other rabbits fairly nearby do (Esupi sadly lost Mango last night) and I have wondered if changes in weather might upset some buns. It's such a mystery.

Could it be something as simple as a strange smell or noisy neighbour?

Albert decided to stop eating a few weeks ago because he was worried about my neighbour putting up a new fence

Fine and loads. He pooed right before I rang the vets. He looked uncomfortable doing it (lifted his back end up) but they were round golden and crumbly and there were about 8. He has model poos because he's such a good hay eater. There's no abnormal poos this morning. They have a large bowl of water and both drink plenty. He has done it before three or four days after he's been in at the vets whilst Scarlet has her teeth done so we've put that down to stress but this time there is absolutely nothing.

I have often noted he seems to have these episodes when other rabbits fairly nearby do (Esupi sadly lost Mango last night) and I have wondered if changes in weather might upset some buns. It's such a mystery.

Could he have bladder sludge ? The straining you noted could have been him trying to wee rather than poo (even though he did poo)

So maybe it's not a GI tract problem but a urinary tract one ??

Sounds random but could changes in temperature be a factor? My Smokey used to have GI Stasis episodes fairly often when she lived outside (even though she had heat pads, a heater in the shed and Inky to snuggle with) but since living inside, her GI problems have become less frequent (touch wood). I think that being in a relatively constant temperature has helped her a lot.

Could it be something as simple as a strange smell or noisy neighbour?

Albert decided to stop eating a few weeks ago because he was worried about my neighbour putting up a new fence

Now you've said that, I have a vague recollection of someone having a bonfire in the allotments behind the house yesterday aft which smelled chemically if you know what I mean.

Could he have bladder sludge ? The straining you noted could have been him trying to wee rather than poo (even though he did poo)

So maybe it's not a GI tract problem but a urinary tract one ??

Hadn't considered that. The vet did say his tum was gassier than usual though but the gut could be a knock on from the UT discomfort couldn't it.

@FriskyClover (can't multiquote more than 2 posts) I have wondered before if it's temperature or change in air pressure etc.

I doubt we'll ever know, he is quite a sensitive little man bless him. He needs to learn to be unflappable like his wifebun. He did give me some lovely cuddles at the vets. I'm not deluded, I know it was an expression of "I'm scared, I don't feel well and that man is pulling me about" rather than an "I love you Mom". He's been binkying this morning so is clearly over it. The vet kindly applied what he called a "frequent flyer" discount to the out of hours fee and did it half price. He said "you know what meds he needs, you just need him checked and for me to give him them". I'm lucky our out of hours cover person is both bunny savvy and lovely.

hmm my Truffle is similar to this, and we've never been able to identify a trigger.
I do sometimes wonder if she has other episodes too while we're at work and comes out of them on her own. Of course it would appear to use that it's 'always' in the evening because that's the time we're around to see it.

hmm my Truffle is similar to this, and we've never been able to identify a trigger.
I do sometimes wonder if she has other episodes too while we're at work and comes out of them on her own. Of course it would appear to use that it's 'always' in the evening because that's the time we're around to see it.

I did think that too. Hope you're bearing up ok mate *hugs*

When my rabbits have had random episodes of stomach upset, there hasn't been anything in their environment or in their regular diet that could have caused it, but I suspect that it might be a weed in their hay that they are eating and possibly causing it. After a few hours they are usually back to their normal selves.

Back