• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My lady is being Spayed on Tuesday. Am I doing the right thing

I have had my beautiful lady for about a month or so and was warned when we got her she was rather fiery and she probably needed a litter or to be spayed. I was going to breed from her but my health has meant I could not care for all of them so it is with regret for her sake and my mine (bites and scratches) that she is going to be spayed on Tuesday :( . I am nervous as I have never had a rabbit that has had this operation both our Dog and Cat have had it and they were a piece of cake. Could someone give me some advice on the best care to give her for the weeks after. We have an indoor dog crate which is big enough for her as she is a French lop and I know it's towels or something but not straw. To make sure she continues to eat even if its a little. Is the anything else I need to know apart from to give her plenty of R&R. I am hoping that this operation will give me the kind and affectionate bunny that I think she can be. Any advise is welcome. Thank you so much

Spaying will not only help as far as her hormonal behaviour goes but it will also prevent uterine infections and cancer. There is an 80% chance that an entire Doe will have uterine cancer by the age of 5, sometimes even at a much younger age. So spaying is most definitely the right thing to do.

Your Doe should be kept at the Vets after surgery until she has eaten a bit and passed so poo and wee

She should be discharged with at least 3-4 days supply of pain relief-eg Metacam- for you to administer

When she gets home provide her with a selection of her favorite foods to tempt her to eat. You can put her hay in a hay rack to minimise how much she could lay on. She may prefer a water bowl to drink from rather than a water bottle

She will need to be restricted to the cage for about 5-7 days and prevented from jumping up onto anything

Her wound will need checking twice a day

Her fecal output should be carefully monitored. If her poos remain very small/few in number she may need to see the Vet again.

Most Does are 100% back to normal within themselves after about 3 days :)

Jack's Jane, Thank you for that very helpful advice I am very much hoping that not only will the operation prevent cancer but it will give me and her the caring relationship we want from each other.

I love her and from the moment she was delivered I loved her but the risk of being bitten scares me from picking her up a lot of the time as its not just a nip which I know with most rabbits it's a sign they want affection as you have stopped stroking them she draws blood when she bites.

I honestly believe with practically no hormones or the need to want to mate she will be the bunny I deserve and it will stop her frustration,

If there is anymore advice anyone it's very welcome.

Neil x

Hi :wave:
I don't think I can give any more advice than Jane, it's exactly what I did when I had a doe spayed a few years ago.
I hope it all goes well, it will be worth it :)

Just to update you all her surgery has been put off until next Wednesday as there were not enough vets. Will keep you all posted. Thank you, Neil & Beau

Wishing Beau all the best for Wednesday. xxx

Excellent advice has already been given.:thumb:

Hopefully you will post a positive update after her op.

Best of luck to her for wednesday :) :)

I was worried too about getting my bunny spayed but it was for the best and she recovered well. As well as the obvious health benefits she could be quite grumpy and hormonal before the op and afterwards that completely changed and was much happier. Hopefully you will have a similar experience :)

Best of luck to Beau (and you) on Wednesday. Many rabbits dislike being picked up (due to being prey animals) but will be happy with strokes and cuddles with all four feet on the ground. If you sit on the floor and let her come to you in her own time you may have more sucess. Hope you manage to forge a strong and loving bond with each other.

I have heard that there is less than a 1% chance of death if the spay is done by knowledgeable vet and the rabbit is healthy. Remember that shelters around the world spay and neuter their rabbits and if it was likely to cause harm than they wouldn't do it :wave: At the shelter I volunteer for all the rabbits are spayed and neutered, it quite improves most of their personalities and gives them the chance to be bonded with another rabbit.

Best of luck for Wednesday :D

Back