• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petplan issue

*Bex*

Mama Doe
Just wondered if anyone else thinks this is unfair, or sees the logic in it??

I've recently submitted a claim for Cleo's EC treatment from end of April up until mid - end July. The claim came to about £450.

I received my cheque yesterday but they have deducted two excesses. They have done this because her policy renewed in June, therefore they say they treat it as two different submissions, one from April - when her policy renewed in June, and then another submission from June - July.

I called and challenged this and they would not budge. They say its in the T&Cs. She did go off the phone a couple of times to speak to a manager but they refused to refund the second excess.

Apparently if I am to claim for her EC again, or anything related to it within the next 12 months I will not have to pay an excess. I am not planning to claim again, she is doing really well and if it happened that I had to claim, id happily then pay the excess, otherwise they have just taken £50 of my money for no reason.

I can't see how they are allowed to do this?

I'm sorry to but it makes sense to me, had you not renewed then they wouldn't be paying for June to July. Or had you switched providers you would have had to pay another excess with them for the remainder of the treatment had you claimed.

Had I switched providers I obviously would be prepared to pay another excess from June - July, and if I didn't renew I wouldn't expect them to pay for the treatment after the policy finished.

I just thought as it were one claim, and her policy continued then I really don't understand the two excesses!

I'm confused then as all my buns are insured with them on the 'Cover for life', which as it was explained to me, meant that you only ever paid the one excess for the same condition. When I queried what about when you have renewed your policy then, and you put the first claim for original illness in for the new year, and was told you only ever pay the one excess. I've only had one bun that needed on going treatment over about 4 years, and he was insured with Petplan but I only ever had to pay the original excess. I think there is some confusion their end to be honest, as that isn't what I was told, or what I had to do.

I've always had to pay a separate excess for each policy year for ongoing conditions. It's definitely in the terms and conditions. It's a real stinger when the new illness occurs towards the end of the policy year so you get charged both excesses but, sadly, I can understand the logic of it, though I don't see it as fair. Paying another excess each year for the same condition doesn't seem fair but as it's in the T&C it's unfortunately what we're stuck with. :(

Last edited:
Sounds pretty normal to me I'm afraid - all the policies I know of with various providers require an excess to be payable for each condition each year - you were just unlucky that the main period of treatment costs covered the period when you renewed the policy.

Its fairly normal the excess with a covered for life policy is per condition per policy year its unfortunate if your pet needs treatment right at the end/beginning of a renewal period but illnesses can't be predicted unfortunately happened with Evan I had two excesses to pay

That's normal practice, I have the same when I claim for Barney. You pay an excess per year of the policy, per illness.

Back