• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best action for a newly single bun.

Milo+Fizz

Mama Doe
Milo wasn't just my one in a lifetime bun he was very much Fizz's too. They were always together and even when free ranging they were often touching bums. She has seen his body so is aware that he's gone. I will not be taking on another bun as I will be sticking to only one group or pair for better care for them (ie more space, more free range time) Now I am hoping I can move my other pair and Fizz to a natural area and bond them eventually as they have been bonded before with no issues between the 3, it was the 2 males that caused the split. However I am going on holiday in just over a week so I cant risk leaving them with someone else newly bonded. As they share a shed I can put a mesh divide across the middle in place of the wooden one. This will be meshed with enough layers to avoid nose to nose contact and possible bites. Is this a good idea for fizz or not? They already see each other when they free range through mesh with no referred aggression.

I am in the same position, I really feel for you :( I lost Poppy on Thursday, her and Gus have been together over 7 years :( I don't want to take on another bun but he's not coping to well at all, he's eating but generally just sits in the corner, usually he's a really active bunny. I don't think I can bond him with my other pair as they are young boisterous lop, and pansy has snuffles and head tilt. I was wondering if him seeing them through a barrier would help? Anyone have any ideas?

I would probably not change anything until you come back from Holiday. Whilst referred aggression has not been a problem it may be different in the confines of the shed. I'd wait til after the Holiday and then maybe attempt bonding the 3 of them.

It can help bereaved Rabbits to see and live close to other Rabbits. But referred aggression is always something to consider. It would be awful for you to have to cope with a fighting previously bonded pair just before you go away.

Seeing a Rabbit grieve is awful :cry: I hope never again to see one grieve as badly and deeply as Lydia has :cry:

Smokey has been left on her own since Inky was put down last year. However, she was 9 years old at the time and I decided that she is probably best on her own. I don't think she would cope with the stress of another bonding and she has settled into being a house rabbit really well. If anything, I think she quite likes it when she has a couple of hours on her own in the house :lol:!

One thing I have done since Smokey has been on her own is to give her a Snugglesafe heatpad every night wrapped in a fleece blanket. If she wants to, she can sit next to it for warmth (as she would another rabbit).

I do make sure she has lots of enrichment activities though to keep her active. Nothing too fancy, just cardboard boxes filled with hay to play in and sticks/baskets to chew. She really likes different types of hay and dried leaves (e.g. raspberry and plantain), so I hide these through the hay for her to find.

Lots of vibes for your lonely rabbits,

FC xx

I would probably not change anything until you come back from Holiday. Whilst referred aggression has not been a problem it may be different in the confines of the shed. I'd wait til after the Holiday and then maybe attempt bonding the 3 of them.

It can help bereaved Rabbits to see and live close to other Rabbits. But referred aggression is always something to consider. It would be awful for you to have to cope with a fighting previously bonded pair just before you go away.

Seeing a Rabbit grieve is awful :cry: I hope never again to see one grieve as badly and deeply as Lydia has :cry:

Well that's enough for me. I will leave things as they are for now and bond them when I get back from holiday as I have nearly a week off when we get back and my first day back is only a couple of hours. I so hope this works as it will mean Fizz isn't alone and the other two will have their space and free range time doubled. Sally will as usual be a star I'm certain :love: . It will be Fizz and Roo if any aggression is there. Here's hoping not as they had no issues before.

Back