PDA

View Full Version : indroducing a doe to buck..advice please!:)

roseemily
09-08-2013, 11:18 AM
I recently brought a mini rex called lexi. She is 11 weeks old and I want to introduce her to my 1 year old dwarf buck sammy.
Im so nervous introducing her to him though ,cus he has such a lovely temperment, and id hate for her to hurt him.
Sammy had a castration on monday, and im going to have to wait 6 weeks. But in the meantime im letting them get to know each other through seperate runs.
I want to buy tjem a big hutch to live in, but I dont want to start buying stuff if they dont get along.
All advice from people that have dobe this before will be so welcome.
Thankyooou :D

Captain Helen
09-08-2013, 11:24 AM
I would wait until she's spayed before introducing them. They may get along fine now, but once her hormones kick in things could change. If they had a fight then it may be hard to rebond them in the future once she's spayed.

Some vets will spay from 4 months, so you wouldn't have to wait much longer.

Before you buy a new hutch have a look at this thread for some inspiration: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing

klw
09-08-2013, 12:00 PM
In my experience, bucks readily accept a pretty little girlfriend. I just introduce in a neutral area, or even in his area. It's normal for them to run around each other and for a little mounting but this normally subsides within about 10 minutes. Once she's 4-6 months then she can be spayed.

I've never had a girl-to-boy bonding fail. Girl-to-girl can take a little longer, say 30-40 minutes, but my lot are pretty gregarious.