• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Deep sleep

Amy104

Warren Veteran
I'm not sure if this should be in here, or health, or what.

I always check all the animals before I leave for work in the morning.

Poppy always gets very excited to see me, jumps about etc.

This morning she looked like she was dozing, but when she didn't stir I gave her a fuss to check she was ok. She still didn't acknowledge me. I picked her up as thought something was wrong and she started moving. I put her down and she hopped about and was her usual energetic self, she didnt seem ill or lethargic.

Hubby is home all day with her fortunately. Can bunnies go into a really deep sleep and I woke her up or should I be rushing her to a vet? Shes eating, drinking, pooping fine.

I don't know about rushing her to the vets, but I usually would take a bun for a check up if they show any behaviour that is out of character, sounds as if she's fine but keep an eye on her poo (size and quantity) and if there is any change a vet trip may be wise?

Thank you. Her poops are fine, she has probs with excess cecals on occassion so I am in the habit of checking them daily.

Hubby says she often doesn't stir when he goes in, so I wonder if as shes a lop she may be deaf and just doesn't hear us. It was more the fact that I actually touched her and she didn't stir until I picked her up that alarmed me.

Hubby is going to monitor her all day for me.

Thank you. Hubby said she is out in the garden Binkying so I think I'll relax a little now and we'll just be extra vigilent with her.

My Pooka has a habit of dead bunny flopping and going into a deep sleep, I can make all the noise I want and even move the food bag and she won't notice until I pick her up, when for a few seconds she'll be limp then suddenly spring to life. It frequently scares the :censored: out of me. I think if you just keep a look out for any strange behaviour you should be fine.

Harry was like this as he aged. In the end, I just couldn't wake him without touching him and making him jump, I'd actually be able to stamp, shout etc and he wouldn't notice. So he didn't go into his outdoor run until he woke up naturally.

He wasn't a healthy bun, but this seemed to just be a natural thing as he got older, it never seemed to be a health problem that needed treatment (and he went to the vets a lot!)

Back