• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At my wits end

dutchbunny

Mama Doe
Moses got out, again. He seems to jump over the fence which is no mean feat but it makes me feel bad. It's like he is seeking more space but for all the love and care he receives, we cannot give him more space. They already have a big area and because we cannot expand they have multiple floors but it doesnt seem enough. We gave up our dining room for them and we have to wait till we buy a house to give them something bigger. I refuse to put them in the garden because of the amount of foxes in the area. I just wish there was more I could do.

Last edited:
Bunnies always want more! I bet they've already got a lot more than other rabbits and it'll all happen in time. As long as they're loved, stimulated and the minimum space suggested then they'll be fine. Rabbits are very curious, Marley has learnt to grt through ajar doors, he runs to get out of the french doors, attempts to squeeze upstairs even though he has more than enough space. They just know when things are naughty!

It's not so much the amount of space, in the cases where they've got plenty to start with, just they seem to assume that anywhere blocked off must be better. Scamp will hang out by the stair gate trying to sneak through at exercise time, and then gets to play in the next room, but if someone goes back through the door he'll bolt over there and try to slip through even though it's back where he started :lol: He's also just as likely to put effort into getting into a small space as a big one - he'd really like to get under the kitchen cupboard.

Endeavour has an entire garden to charge about but he much prefers getting behind a 2ft square base unit by the kitchen door. He will jump over any height in order to get from the garden where he could run and binky, dig and jump in order to investigate the back of a tiny cupboard :?

Endeavour has an entire garden to charge about but he much prefers getting behind a 2ft square base unit by the kitchen door. He will jump over any height in order to get from the garden where he could run and binky, dig and jump in order to investigate the back of a tiny cupboard :?

:lol:

:lol: love it!

I've already got all the ideas when we buy a house. It will be bunny heaven. We're looking at a multiple room house just so one of the rooms can be theirs and I'll transform it into this insane area for them.
People already think us mad for giving up our dining room but I love my darlings so much. We got any kind of insurance for them we could get. At the slightest sign of trouble, we're off to the vet and we even got a special cage for if they are poorly, i can put them next to our bed so I can check during the night.

I love buns. They are our kids. I had one bunny years ago who was very poorly. She was soooo cold. I had her lying against me all night to keep her warm (vet said she wouldn't make it, but she proved the cow wrong).

I just still wish there was more we could do. We're renting as well and we've had them roaming before and they ripped the wall paper so we got to be careful.

As others have said, it's what they can't have that they want. And once Bilbo knows he's not supposed to be somewhere then that's it, he's getting there. We have the back of our couch blocked off because there's a wire down there for the phone that we can't move and the number of times he's gotten himself stuck between blockages is silly (we have several stages of blocking because he's a pain!). Then he'll start thumping for us to get him out :roll:

With Cloud we had a gap down the back of their base because there were sockets there, and hay would fall down. So he kept jumping down there but couldn't jump back up. Once he had finished with the hay he wanted he'd thump to be lifted out. Eventually we gave up and settled for slight chewing on socket corners :lol:

Years ago when I was 13/14 I had a housebun Charlie. he had free roam of downstairs but the stairs were blocked off as family didn't want him in the bedrooms. I broke my ankle and was in plaster and crutches, and the naughty rabbit suddenly managed to get past the stairgate while I was immobile... I looked into the hallway from the couch and there he was, halfway up the stairs and staring at me through the banister :shock: :roll: I had to try and hop over and when I got to the bottom of the stairs he ran all the way up :lol: and decided to tease me by washing and chilling out while I tried to get up there to get him down :roll:

Whenever I feel like that I just think about all the poor bunnies at the bottom of someone's garden in a tiny hutch and think how lucky mine really are :)

It's not so much the amount of space, in the cases where they've got plenty to start with, just they seem to assume that anywhere blocked off must be better. Scamp will hang out by the stair gate trying to sneak through at exercise time, and then gets to play in the next room, but if someone goes back through the door he'll bolt over there and try to slip through even though it's back where he started :lol: He's also just as likely to put effort into getting into a small space as a big one - he'd really like to get under the kitchen cupboard.

This exactly.

If there's a gate or door shut Marnie will chew the gate/scratch at the door. She has the whole of the downstairs of a 3 bed house.....and also the stairs and landing.

Don't feel bad....they're just contrary little gits :love:

Fidget has the run of the front room and kitchen, but only really wants to wedge herself in the gap between the sofa and the wall or between the fridge freezer and kitchen cabinets :lol:. They just like to explore everywhere. Like children, the places they're not allowed are the most attractive!

Bobby has the whole of the downstairs to free range in except the tiny pokey little utility room which he is banned from but of course it is the one place he is always lingering at waiting for one of us to open it so he can sneak in. I don't know what the appeal is , only that it is off limits so therefore all the more exciting for him to see his mammy pulling her hair out every time he darts past:roll:

Back