• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA have no minimum requirements???

Is this right? I have just searched around, as I now have all rabbit boarding hutches meeting RWAF standards and was looking to see whether the RSPCA "matched" and it said that they have no minimum requirements for rabbits?

And yet, on Guinea Pig Welfare it states that the RSPCA "recommend a hutch of 4ft x 2ft for 2 guinea pigs sharing..."

Have I missed something or do they genuinely not have any recommendations at all?!! :shock:

I don't think they have any official recommendations, other than the 3 hop rule, but most individual branches will have a minimum requirement for rehoming. I know at my local centre it's a 6x2 hutch with a 6x6 run (or at least it was a couple of years back)

I think you're right in that there are no official sizes. They are currently doing a big rabbit project and should be publishing the housing criteria as part of that I believe. I think it must be running late though as I was expecting it to be published last year :lol:

This document has their recommendations in it:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232725725160&mode=prd

The RSPCA branches (like ours in Guildford) currently make their own criteria, so you will find that housing sizes that are asked of RSPCA adopters vary all over the country. It is frustrating, but it does seem to be something that they are working to improve.

No measurements :
http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232725725160&mode=prd

but they do say:
As an absolute minimum, each of your rabbits should be able to perform the following
behaviours within the enclosure and shelter at any time they
choose:
1. Stand up on their hind legs without their ears touching
the roof [For a medium sized rabbit this behaviour
requires a height of at least 75cm].
2. Lie fully outstretched in any direction.
3. Take an unhindered sequence of consecutive hops2
4. Turn around unimpeded.
Check that your rabbits, when fully grown, will be able to perform these four behaviours
within each section of their housing (both the main shelter and the living enclosure) as
an absolute minimum. The RSPCA does not recommend that owners of baby rabbits buy
‘starter homes’ for their pets, but would encourage owners to buy or build a home that
will be large enough to house all their rabbits for the whole of their lives

I went to my local RSPCA branch to look for a friend for Pipkin before I got Ruby from the Blue Cross and they required a 6x2 hutch and 6x4 run minimum, that was about 4 years ago. It seems like it varies by branch.

When I tried to adopt a rabbit from the RSPCA Milbrook I was initially told all the rabbits they had were 'outside' rabbits and I would fail a homecheck if I wanted to keep them indoors... I had to bother the poor manager to call me back because whoever answered the phone clearly had no clue!!

Long story short, I now have an indoor bun from the RSPCA! :lol: I could have easily just given up and been like 'Oh, OK then, nevermind'. Luckily I am the sort of person to question things.

Thank you. I look forward to the publication of their "charter" when it comes out. At 6ft by 2.5ft by 2.5ft I would appear to fit all the RSPCA criteria, too.

Now that the larger hutches are in use, my smaller hutches are now for the guinea pigs, and exceed the welfare expectations for them so I am a happy bunny, too. My favourite is 'The Herbs'

d1f911_3436fba6da606afb44527bb465f05a93.jpg_srz_295_160_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

p.s. Who has a hutch where the rabbit CAN'T "turn around unimpeded" ? I probably do not want to know how common it is!

I think for most branches it's 6x2 with 6x4 run, cuz if they stuck with rwaf minimums, then they'd probably never rehome half the buns they do, as people don't have the space.

I had a home check yesterday and the requirements for my local branch are

Minimum RSPCA guidelines for a pair of rabbits is a single 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch
or a double 5ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch. They also need access to a secure garden or a large run

I think for most branches it's 6x2 with 6x4 run, cuz if they stuck with rwaf minimums, then they'd probably never rehome half the buns they do, as people don't have the space.

That more or less IS the rwaf minimums, rwaf just ask for two extra foot on the run.

The vast majority of branches have a minimum of 6x2ft hutch and 6x4ft run (Preferably attached) then obviously that differs for larger rabbits or buns with specific needs.

When I worked for Hounslow Branch we followed the RWAF guidelines, pending their own statement, which I gather hasn't appeared yet!

That more or less IS the rwaf minimums, rwaf just ask for two extra foot on the run.

But it's surprising how many people don't want to give that extra 2ft. I've had to compromise on mine by having it 7ft, but I eeked out the width to 5ft lol. 8ft just *sounds* huge whereas 6ft seems more manageable.

Back