• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starting to consider how Biscuit is going to cope

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Ginger's lost a little more weight now, 1Kg flat :(

She's ripping out all of her fur on her legs, belly, chin...but she's still Gingery. She's still periscoping at everything. Shes hopping around happy. She's begging for food, jumping up on my lap in the office and then to my desk when she realises the porridge oats are up here.

I've had the vets check her over, we can't find anything obviously wrong, she's comfortable and I don't feel its right to submit her to more and more checks and tests. She's not suffering, but I just don't know what to do. She's already gone several weeks since her weight came off her, vet told us to expect ~6 weeks.

She's currently sat in the litter tray and today alone, has eaten 3 times her size in hay. I've had to top the tray up twice since 8am.

I'm worried about Biscuit :(

She is his confidence. He hates being held, wouldn't jump on me or anything, Ginger arrived and she gave him a new lease of life. Before he was miserable and lonely. Now he's got his soul mate and the chances are, she's not going to be here for long. I think its going to tear him apart :(

I'm distraught with it all, I just don't know what to do.

When the time comes, he will NOT cope on his own for long. I'm going to have to do it all for him. Bonding will be a nightmare, cleaning won't be at all easy.

Just take every day as it comes Gray. I was told 6 months ago that Maisie-pig only had weeks left, she is still here now and enjoying each day, no slowing down yet.

I was distraught when we lost Misty and Sweep was on his own. I was convinced he was very depressed and used to cry myself to sleep at the thought of him outside on his own. Turns out he wasn't ready to be bonded straightaway (as Helen knows!!) and it took 5 months before he would accept another partner.

Biscuit will be fine, as will you. Try not to dwell on anything the vet has said, it will take over your thoughts and you will count down the days (as I did with Maisie).

I am so sorry - wish I had some advice but can only say how sad I am about this. It must be so awful for you right now - loads of thoughts and vibes for all of you.

I had the same worries about Mini but she actually coped better than I expected. She was clearly mourning but she got through it and when she was ready accepted the other two. Take each day as it comes, like Ginger is doing :)

I had the same worries about Mini but she actually coped better than I expected. She was clearly mourning but she got through it and when she was ready accepted the other two. Take each day as it comes, like Ginger is doing :)

I entirely agree with this but i do also think being aware, as you are, of how Biccie might be and what you might do to help him is sensible otherwise its a bit like free falling and scrabbling around.

Also, just because you've been told something about Ginger it doesn't mean that's what will happen because she doesn't know. Rabbits exceed expectations all the time and yes, this is likely to be very serious, but she won't know her time frame or condition either.

(And, as you know, we lost Sandy who was bonded with wildie Roge and whilst he is quiet and sad he is 'ok' and he hasn't lost what Sandy gave him mentally and enotionally, even though he has lost her physically).

I know we gong talk anymore but ill always have time for you and Ginger if you ever need/want me. X

My Bridge Bun Furby and Faye had an incredibly strong bond. Faye was Furby's ears and from the moment they were bonded they were never apart. I worried about how Faye was going to cope if Furby died as he was poorly for so long but when it actually happened Faye surprised me. She was with him when he died and was clearly miserable afterwards and didn't eat much for a short time.

I bonded her with Frangipan very quickly - far too soon for me - and the bond was one of the easiest I have ever done. I still get upset seeing Faye and Fran snuggled as to me it looks 'wrong' - and I worry Furby will feel I have replaced him - but for Faye it was the right thing to do.

I wonder if Faye accepted Furby's death so well because he had been poorly for such a long time and she sensed it was coming. I can see that bunnies live very much in the 'now' and Faye is as happy with Fran as she was with Furby.

Maybe Biscuit will be the same and if the worst does happen with Ginger, he will accept another bun sooner than you may expect.

I know somebuns don't ever accept another companion - like Lady Lydia - but Biscuit may be a bun who will.

Thinking of you, Gray. It is incredibly hard to watch a beloved friend lose weight and be powerless to help. I remember how I felt when my Bridge bun Dylan got so thin - it was heartbreaking:(

I was worried about Bella when Boris passed away, from what my mum told me it sounded like she had been trying to "save him" :cry: So I suspected she wasn't coping very well. She hardly ate anything the day after it happened and even when I got home from Uni a week or so later, she wasn't herself. Now she's back to normal pretty much, she has a teddy to groom and seems happy again.

Each rabbit is different in situations like this and there's really no way of predicting how they will react to losing a friend, I thought Bella understood that Boris was ill because it seemed like it, but when he actually died she was so distraught :( Sending lots of vibes your way, I really hope Ginger isn't going anywhere any time soon xxx

im soo sorry, its not better news gray :cry: just want you to know thinking of you all and sending ginger noserubs and vibes x

I'm so sorry Gray. When bluebell was at his worst I would always worry about willow as they were truely soulmates. She never left his side. We were lucky that bluebell went to the bridge peacefully at home and I was able to lev him with her as long as she needed. I'm sure it helped. Because I have other rabbits I did try to Bond her fairly quickly as she was very out of sorts and working full time I just couldn't be there to comfort her as much as I'd like. It was actually much easier than I expected. She was never as close to her new friends as she was with bluebell, but she was better with th company and eventually she was happy again. Bluebell was her one and only, he couldn't be replaced but she was ok. Treasure every moment you have with her, don't waste it worrying about biscuit. You know what to look out for when it happens and even if he is not a cuddle bun I know you will get him through it.

I am so sorry you have the concerns about how Biscuit will cope on top of the worry about Ginger.

When Buttercup died after a big op we were really worried about her partner Squirrel. He clearly mourned and went through all the problems of being a single bun, he didn't wash, only picked at his food and led staring into space, it was awful but at least he had the company of the other buns here and then I introduced him to Seren whose partner had been killed at 'the rescue' by a fox and they just hit it off immediately, something I thought would never happen.

I'm not saying 'just get another bun' we all know that's not what anyone here would do, but do take each day at a time. It's weird where life takes us - humans and buns.

Enjoy the time you all have together. Thinking of you all. :wave:

So very much on your plate, Gray, I'm so sorry. :(
I wish I had some sage advice to give, but all I can do is let you know I'm thinking of your lovely rabbits and their life together and how it is not even crossing their minds, any of this. Their moment is now and that's all they know.
Biccy may grow closer to you in Ginger's absence, you never know. I've had animal companions that didn't give a rat's about me suddenly turn to me when the one they relied on left us. They both know who cares for them and that is you. Biscuit will look to you for his cues.

I know you will both be sad and grieve and you can do this together when necessary. But at this very moment, Ginger is here and still very much the focus of you and Biscuit's devotion.
I'm not sure if you've told me before, but how old is Biccy? I'm thinking he's around 6-7 like my Mimzy, right?

I have the same thoughts about my two. It's hard not to think about it but you have to take each day as it comes because you just don't know how things will be 'after'. You're a wonderful owner so you will be able to read Biscuit and know what he needs and wants and you'll do it and it won't be hard because it will be for him.

Hi Graham,
I lost my lovely bun Alice after a long illness. Like Ginger, she was my outgoing bun and her partner Oliver is shyer and more cautious of people. He was depressed when Alice died but took comfort and responded to me more than usual, eating when I was there and wanting to be stroked. I think most of us hate the thought of animals experiencing sadness and we instinctively want to make it better. Oliver has since been bonded to a bunny rescued through the forum. It was a tricky bond but they are so close now and his new partner Libby has brought out a different side to his personality.
I hope Ginger continues to do well for as long as possible. I have followed your threads and you have done a remarkable job with her.
Best wishes Nickix

Just seen your thread Graham, and I can only echo the wonderful sentiments already given.

Please give Biscuit and Ginger a gentle noserub from me.

Sending warm supportive wishes to you and your lovely family.

Di. x

I really feel for you, I worried so much about Olly when Honey died :( he was really sad for quite a while, but didn't take well to being bonded with another bunny; maybe due to his disability though :? He's quite a happy little boy now though, living in the lounge with us :love:
It's awful having to think about it; but hopefully Biccy will be ok - he is a buns bun, so he may bond again easier than you think.
Thinking of you all x

I am really sorry to read this - if it helps at all I have just bonded one of my buns Louise (who came to me as a middle aged bunny in 2008) with her fourth partner. She is now with Rooney after having outlived Thelma, Bigwig and Bumble.

She has been slightly different with each of them but is happy and enjoying life - she is not a people bunny at all.

I'm so sorry you are going through this :(
It might help to let a rescue re-bond Biscuit when he is ready that might take the pressure off you a bit xx

Sorry this is happening to you Graham but I know how you feel as we go through the same feelings about Helen and Baby Saint
as both are not in great health and we know without Baby Saint Helen would not survive and we could never do a wonderful job
of looking after Baby Saint like Helen does, I try not to think about it but I know that day will come.

Wish it was better news for you :(

Special nose rubs for Biscuit and Ginger and Thinking of you.

Thanks all.

I know each and everyone of you are right, Ginger might be around for a while yet, but I still have that niggley time clock ticking in my head.

She's currently sat eating hay out of the cupboard, 'cos the fresh stuff I put in the tray is apparently not good enough :roll: She's still Gingery. That's what is important. I know she'll tell me if its time.

I guess things hit me a bit, been coping with Joshua having some really bad days, then weighing Ginger, only to find she'd lost more, despite my efforts. She's eating absolutely everything we throw at her, and with gusto, but nothings going back on, I think we're just slowing it down.

For anyone who's interested, he certainly will have another friend no matter of any financial difficulties, as soon as humanly possible and as soon as he needs it when the time comes. He may surprise me, I guess I just can't see it through the concerns. He has what he needs. He's as much a part of this family as anyone else, along with Ginger.

Unfortunately, there are no rescues rounds here, which is a pain...and travelling won't be much of an option, so it's likely i'll have to somehow neutralise this room. Have to admit, I've had a quick look at RR and it just upset me to think I was looking so had to close.

Hopefully I don't have to think about it any time soon...

Back