• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

has anyone had to inject there own bunnies???

moi

Mama Doe
I have been given a medicine for bunnys stasis and its a blooming nightmare trying to get it down him. So I called vets and asked if it was possible for injection form, thinking bunny would have an injection every other day or something. But I was told id have to take him 2 to 3 times a day or I could do it myself if I was comfortable with it (which Im not). Ive decided to persevere with the oral one x

I give injections daily. It really is no big deal and it is often much less stressful for the Rabbit.

Your Vet could show you how to do it :)

I've vaccinated a cat before and my mom used to have to inject a cat with insulin twice daily. I personally prefer oral, but I'd imagine that an injection would be less stressful :wave:

I have a couple of bunnies who are a nightmare to give oral medication to. It's easy enough to get it into their mouths, but they won't swallow it and just let it dribble out. They don't really do the chewing action when the syringe goes into their mouth.

We've given gut stimulants and pain relief to bunnies by injection instead of orally. If you have someone to hold bunny while you inject, then you'll have the confidence that they won't move or wriggle. It is easy to do, it's just a confidence thing. I find it is much less stressful for bunnies, particularly when some of the oral doses are so large.

Prior to giving our bunnies injections, we had been injecting one of our cats twice daily with insulin so we'd had quite a bit of practice, but the technique was exactly the same.

If you are really struggling getting the meds in then I think it would be worth getting your vet to show you how to inject. I'm sure you would be fine with it.

I much prefer injecting Buckley to giving him oral meds. He hates stuff being put in his mouth and it's super stressful for him. Injections are a breeze in comparison! Give him some pellets, grab a handful of loose skin on the back of his neck, inject, done. He doesn't even notice when I give him his injections.

I much, much prefer giving meds by injection and find it much easier in a bunny than in a cat. I was injecting my Bridge Bun Furby with pain relief and antibiotics and have injected numerous bunnies in the past.

One of my former vets showed me how to do it on one of my cats and watched while I did it myself (with water). I found the first few times a bit nerve wracking but once I became more confident it got easier and I live alone so have to hold the animal as well as inject.

I did struggle a bit with the penicillin injections as the liquid is so thick but the vet showed me a couple of techniques which helped.

All my fur family become very stressed at the vet so it is much better for them if I dispense meds at home. I used to have a needle phobia but forced myself to get over it to a degree but still can't watch when I have an injection and usually faint during a blood test.

My vet taught me how to inject, and I found it surprisingly easy. You 'tent' the skin on the usual injection site. Pulling it up and making a triangle shape almost. Put the injection in, you will feel a bit of resistance, and you just keep going through it and then use the plunger to release the medicine and withdraw. The swifter the action the better really.

I am only confident to do this with Cookie and Lola who will sit still when taken to a different 'new to them' room in the house. Frankie, who does not tolerate being handled I would not attempt it at all. If your bun will sit calmly for you it is worth asking the vet to show you (I surprised myself that I could do it) Good luck xxx

I've only injected penicillin, which is trickier than other meds. And it needs to be cleaned off the bun well so they don't ingest any if you stick the needle straight out the other side and don't notice... :oops:

You could ask the vet to show you and have a go, you don't have to continue if you don't feel comfortable doing it xx

Ive done IM and subcut injections, they get much easier as time passes! Ive been giving Buster daily injections since Feb and its a doddle now, so quick and easy. I give him penicillin too which is thicker than other meds but its alright

I was really worried about giving injections too, but there is nothing to worry about! Noisette was on daily injections and she got used to it. Poor girl knew it was at the same time every day and would run away, but once you do it a couple of times you will master it. The vet showed me how to do it too :)

Kinda wish Id gone for the injections now. The stasis was prob bought on by stres of moving, and now im stressing out bun with syringing meds! :shock::D

never had to inject them myself, they are usually very good with syringing meds, but everybun is different

Back