• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wish they'd just get along

Alicia

Mama Doe
It was going really well, I took them in the car to try and help bond them and after that they seemed fine. I cleaned the hutch out, scrubbed it with vinegar then washed it out then sprayed more vinegar on it. Did the same to the run and all the toys, it took me ages. I've just put them both in the hutch and they're fighting again. Why can't they make their mind up whether they like each other or not? I've had no sleep and been watching them for so long and now they decide to fight. Whenever I seperate them my Mum moans at me to keep them together because having two hutches is annoying and its a tiny hutch anyway. I just want them to live together.

Have you been bonding them in a neutral space? Or just took them on a car ride and then put them in the hutch?

For how long?

It can take a long time before you can put them back in one of the territory. You may have masked the smell but they will remember it was theirs.

I've got to go to work tonight, so I think I'll have to seperate and start again tomorrow or something.

I'd keep in neutral for longer & don't return to the hutch for as long as you can manage

This.

I bonded my two in a neutral space for a week and only let them go in the bedroom once the humping and chasing had stopped. That was a "quick" bond, I would have kept them int he neutral space for longer if I was able to. Fortunately they bonded well and are still living happily in my room.

I would give them maybe 2 weeks together in a completely neutral space, longer if you can. How big is the space you are using and how big is the hutch?

When mine went in the bedroom they started humping and chasing again, because it was a different space so they had to reassess their status, as long as they settled down quickly without any fighting this is acceptable.

They hate each other they just keep fighting. I am really tired and have no patience, they keep fighting. I can't keep stopping and starting bonding them.

I'm house sitting next week so I think its probably best I seperate them and keep them seperate until I get back and can spend more time with them.

Last edited:
They hate each other they just keep fighting. I am really tired and have no patience, they keep fighting. I can't keep stopping and starting bonding them.

I'm house sitting next week so I think its probably best I seperate them and keep them seperate until I get back and can spend more time with them.

when i bonded my 2 they had lots of bonding sessions in a large area when i thought they were ready i had already in place a brand new hutch and i think because it was completely new to both of them there were no problems it is an expensive way of doing it but i think thats where your problem lies its territorial and you may never be able to get rid of the scent in the hutch the rabbits are just re acting to instinct .......

Back