• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dribbling rabbit

I know I shouldn't look :cry: but.... a bun in the adoption part of P@H has been there a while with a note to say he needed special care. I have really tried to avoid going there and thought after our holiday he would surely be re-homed so trotted in to buy cat litter having to go past the adoption section. He was still there so I asked what was wrong with him. The manager said 'nothing' :censored: but simultaneously the assistant said 'snuffles'. I challenged the manager that snuffles isn't nothing and then chatted to the assistant who said the bun was actually one of their own 'stock' (horrible word) who became ill so was taken off the shop floor until he was well enough to be re-homed. The assistant told me that a couple who were currently on holiday had expressed interest in him and knew his situation re snuffles. The assistant got him out and he seemed very comfortable with her, I asked to have a look at him and held him whilst she showed a customer where something was and noticed that he had a couple of sores inside his ears and more worryingly that he was dribbling.

Anyway, upshot is a week later the couple still haven't come back, bun is in isolation, has seen the vet and had treatment for his ears and an anti inflamatory to help with his dribbling??? What would an anti-inflamatory do to help dribbling? Can someone please explain, have I missed something? Assistant rang me today to say that bun needs to go back to the vet as the anti -inflamatory hasn't helped.

Can anyone throw any light on why an anti - inflamatory would be used for a dribble problem? The assistant said today that bun has small spurs at the back of his mouth but vet said nothing significant???? I know of the vets they are using and know that they are not rabbit savvy. Don't know what I can or should do to help. I have 22 buns of my own, 13 of them rescue buns and one has dental issues that are managed successfully at the moment so other than that know very little about dental issues.

Any advice welcome :wave:

If the rabbit is dribbling and he has spurs then he needs a dental.

A lot of vets see dribbling as the main sign of dental issues.

No rabbit is the same and how they are affected by "small" spurrs will be unique to them.

If the rabbit is dribbling and he has spurs then he needs a dental.

A lot of vets see dribbling as the main sign of dental issues.

No rabbit is the same and how they are affected by "small" spurrs will be unique to them.

This is exactly what I think. An anti inflamatory isn't going to help with dribbling is it? I just need to make sure that I am not talking through my backside before I go there - a dental is what i would have thought. Thanks for the reply happybunny :wave:

This is exactly what I think. An anti inflamatory isn't going to help with dribbling is it? I just need to make sure that I am not talking through my backside before I go there - a dental is what i would have thought. Thanks for the reply happybunny :wave:

Temporarily it might help but it wont work forever.

Bun is very likely to have dental issues :(

Temporarily it might help but it wont work forever.

Bun is very likely to have dental issues :(

Mmm, I thought that possibly they would give metacam to tide him over until the following day perhaps until they could do a dental. Poor boy. I really want to help him but worry about taking on more costs. I'm already paying £87 for each dental for one of my own buns and that is approx every 5-6 weeks. That's on top of everything for 22 buns and 5 cats, one dog and two hamsters! I have the room for the bun but don't know if I have the funds! :cry:

If the spur were mild and possibly caused as a result of not eating for a short period due to a different illness then metacam may help get the bunny back on the right track.

To be at the point of dribbling means things have stepped up a bit from that and the fact that a week later bunny is no better means that action needs to be taken now.

I would also say that the bunny needing a dental may not be an indication of needing one in the future. It is possible this issue is off the back of the original illness that caused him to become old stock. Fixing it now and a good diet going forward may be all he needs.

It could however be an indication of future issues.

I would definately say that PAH need to cover this particular issue. Coudl you agree to adopt him on the proviso he has the dental now?

Good luck x

Thanks again Happybunny.

Bun hasn't been back to the vet yet!! Apparently he is eating well so they are not that concerned to take him back to the vet as a priority!

I will try again tomorrow.

I really don't know what to do though. If he has previously had snuffles I am concerned he could be a risk to my 22

Any thoughts anyone on this?

It may not be spurs. Harry was dribbling and it was a tooth abscess, sadly he stopped eating and didn't respond to treatment and had to be pts as I could tell he was suffering and had lost the will to live.

I should say that when my vet knew Harry was dribbling they kept the surgery open on a Sunday later than normal especially to allow me to go in that day, that's how seriously they took the symptom, so I'm a bit concerned by the vet P@H are seeing!

It may not be spurs. Harry was dribbling and it was a tooth abscess, sadly he stopped eating and didn't respond to treatment and had to be pts as I could tell he was suffering and had lost the will to live.

I should say that when my vet knew Harry was dribbling they kept the surgery open on a Sunday later than normal especially to allow me to go in that day, that's how seriously they took the symptom, so I'm a bit concerned by the vet P@H are seeing!

Yes, I can't believe how laid back they are. Bunnies go down so quickly yet there is no urgency here at all. I have suggested that they give me the bun and I'll take him to the vet (my vet), they know I have a lot of bunnies but the assistant said they can't let him go as he needs treatment - my answer is - get the treatment then!!! :shock:

What about snuffles? Am I risking my buns? His nose is dry, eyes clear and there is no sign of a respiratory infection. He seems very happy and lively too. Poor bun :(

I am sorry but I don't really know the answer to your snuffles question. Could you call your own vet and just ask if a bunny with previous snuffles would be a risk to healthy rabbits?

If PAH are following the advice of the vet then the vet is at fault (i know its does not help the situation). Unfortunately I would guess that PAH would not be happy to pay for a different vet opinion but I think bunny could do with one.

I would be interested to know if bunny has been weighed throughout this period and if it has changed.

It would be great if you could adopt him but not if it is at the expense of your othe rbunnies health.

xx

Whether it is contagious is a bit of a hard question as there seems to be a difference of opinion. I imagine it would depend on what bacteria was causing the infection.

Personally none of my snuffle buns have ever passed it onto their partner, or any of my other healthy buns.

Back