• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wondering whether to breed two current bunnies

Carolinew5

Warren Scout
or rescue a couple from a center .. does anyone know where there are rescue centers near Hampshire ???

Yes there are rescues in and around Hampshire :). Have a look at the Rabbit Rehome site and you can do a search for rescue rabbits in your area.

Thanks and Guildford is not to far away .. another reason im unsure of mating mine as i dont think i could let them go :oops: and id like a different breed .. but also they are from the same litter but one of the vet i spoke to when i first got them and sexed them wrong said it would be ok .. but i dont know .. ive now got a very good vet who is very clued up with rabbit care and i wont go to anyone eles now :D ..

Please have a read of this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

These are your local centres: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp#Hampshire

It would be much better to adopt a pair than to breed. If you breed, you could end up with a lot more than 2 and then what happens to those? It's risky to breed, and expensive. Adopting a pair will be about £100 max - that's a lot cheaper than their vaccinations, spays and neuters. Let alone any potential vets visits what with the inherently dangerous nature of parturition and labour.

Thanks and Guildford is not to far away .. another reason im unsure of mating mine as i dont think i could let them go :oops: and id like a different breed .. but also they are from the same litter but one of the vet i spoke to when i first got them and sexed them wrong said it would be ok .. but i dont know .. ive now got a very good vet who is very clued up with rabbit care and i wont go to anyone eles now :D ..

Aw, yes I'd definitely recommend rescuing. You might find when you start looking at rescue bunnies and meeting them, all your ideas about what you are looking for go out of the window :lol:. Loads of different breeds/x-breeds come up in rescue though so I'm sure you'll find the bunny for you.

Good luck!

Please don't breed, there are over 60,000 rabbits in rescue. :( plus breeding between siblings is *never* a good idea. Ever.

There are lots of other dangers involved in breeding, there is a lot of information on this thread.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

I'd recommend against it. Definitely if your too rabbits are siblings - I don't know what your previous vet was thinking but I'm glad you've got a new one!

The trouble with breeding closely related rabbits is the have similar genes so where a condition needs matching genes to develop you provide them and that can be for all sorts of things like heart problems and teeth problems.

Also, pregnancy is risky for the mum, it's a possibility that she could get a complication that needs a c-section or pass away after the birth.

Then there is the issue of finding homes for half a dozen (or more babies) and finding homes that you're willing to let the cute babies you've fallen in love with go to is really difficult.

There is just so many downside to breeding, I would go for rescue. There is usually a big range of rabbits to choose from and often youngsters too :)

There are loooads of bunnies near hampshire needing homes on Rabbitrehome:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?inlocation=hampshire&RabAge=&RabSex=&RabBond=%

They are so cute :love:

On top of that there are other RSPCA shelters and other rescues which will have buns :)

If you are considering breeding, you should read this sticky:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

It's really not worth the risk to breed as mummy could die, kits could die, vets bills are huuge if things go wrong- and even if things go right you'd have to pay to vaccinate all babies (average litter of 5= £250!) :shock:, you wouldn't be sure if the babies would all get nice homes, and if you don't know the full genetic history of both parents you could end up with babies with very poor health who don't last very long. Once the girl is pregnant, the mum and dad would need to be separated immediately or there would be huge fights and then you would have to keep them separate for 8 weeks until kits were weaned and mum could be spayed, then a further 6 weeks or she would just get pregnant again- much more hassle than rescuing! :p

Good luck in you hunt for bunnies! :D

ETA: In the time it took me to write this a bunch of people posted the same thing, sorry about that :lol:

I think you have all convinced me to rescue .. I would hate to lose my little Clover really didnt think id enjoy having rabbits as much as i have and would love to help a couple of older rabbit have a happy life .. i have a lovely big run and happily buy a new hutch for newbies. I have my two separated since they were 14 weeks waiting for buddy`s bit to drop :oops: if it hasn't by the next visit end of month .. I will spay Clover which would be better for her but scarey for me .. so would love a big bunny family ... :D

How old is he? It's usually around 12-14 weeks they drop but some bunnies are more stubborn :lol:

Just a tip, check with the rescue you plan to adopt from before getting the hutch as they often have policies on accommodation size and that will help you pick the right one :)

How certain are you he is a he? ;)

I'd have expected them to drop by now. It is possible for them to get retained testicles, for whatever reason they don't drop or more commonly only one does. But in that case they usually do an op, a slightly more complicated version of a castration, and fish them out as there is a high risk of testicular cancer with retained testicles.

yes the vet has mentioned that that's why we are waiting to see if it comes down over the month if not i will get her spayed .. then wait till he is older then get it done :)

Back