• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead Tales

Clare-uk

Mama Doe
Not really a photo as such but just added my boys pic as a profile image, so checking it shows up ;)

I have had people visit us and exclaim "whats that" the first time they see him and then when I say he's a rabbit they say "are you sure" hehe but he is a bunny and a gorgeous one at that. But then I may be biased :love:

Actually as I'm posting a sort of story has anyone else noticed that Lionheads seem to be very house proud? If I put his blanket with a crease in it he gets all huffy and straightens it. Its the same if I put his bedding wrong, he pushes it all around until its how he likes it. I've had a few lionheads now and a few different breeds (English, French Lop, Netherland Dwarf) and I've noticed that its the Lions who seem to exhibit this behaviour most. Just wondered if any other Lion lovers had noticed it too or I am just creating fussy buns.

Hahaha that's so lovely! :love: You should get it neat first time though, I mean honestly! :roll: :lol:

Well I can tell you 100% that I have never known a house proud lionhead. I've had a lionhead, lion-lop, and two lionhead x rabbits and I have never seen it! Foxie and Bella are reasonably tidy MOST of the time, but they shred up the newspaper I lined their hutch with in about 5 minutes, and they poo outside their litter tray sometimes and scratch up my kitchen tiles.
Snowy (RIP) was always very white and clean, but that was only because his wifey Bilbo cleaned him up all the time. He was messy too!
And Bilbo (RIP), oooooh Billie. She refused to be properly litter trained. She ripped, chewed, shredded EVERYTHING, she didn't clean her self and she always looked like a matted mess no matter how much effort we put in! We had to trim her bum fluff with nail scissors :lol:

What I do love is the fact people don't think yours are rabbits either! We had that with Billie; work men would ask what type of dog she was! :lol: I don't know if that was because she was this big black fluff ball or because she'd play football and chase them round the garden :roll: :love: :lol:

My two are lion head lops. They're like your bun in that they get really annoyed if I put a blanket down for them and its not how they like it :lol:
They also hate it whenever I put a toy near their bed, they fling it away.
On saying that though they're so messy. They like taking hay all the way across the room to eat it on their bed :roll: :lol:

Harley is not too particular really - but she doesn't make a mess either (apart from weeing to mark her territory). She is however the most arrogant and unfriendly of our lot...and certainly knows how to let us know when we've displeased her (which is often :roll:). I also get comments - 'what is that' - and only a small minority sees the beauty behind that daft hair :love: I do love my Harley even though she doesn't particualy love me back:(.

:lol::lol:

Spenser who belongs to Susie-Bun is QUITE the Lord Lionhead. Have a look for some of her photo threads, Spenser is infamous for his perfectly sparkling white feet.

:wave:

Thanks for the replies, I love that so many people are confused by our fluff balls lol Sounds like my boy is just a fussy pants then & to be honest I sometimes deliberately put things slightly wonky because it makes me chuckle seeing him moving it all about :oops:

Just goes to show how different all bunnys are and aren't they just a joy to learn each ones traits, even the messy ones :love:

:lol: love this thread! I love all bunnies but I have a soft spot for lionheads, just so fluffy & adorable. My bun is netherland dwarf/lionhead cross but I'm glad to say he is getting fluffier each day, the lionhead gene is winning :lol:

He is definitely a messy boy, my kitchen has turned into a barn with the amount of hay he drags about and the carefresh sticks to his butt and when he jumps in & out of the cage, it follows! :lol:

I was just wondering what brushes you all use for grooming? I have this one... http://www.petsathome.com/shop/bristle-brush-by-options-15830 but it doesn't seem great at brushing his long hair. I have started to damp it before using to try to catch more hairs but still not great

My boy does seem picky then lol he won't poop in his bed area or where his food is. He has a two storey hutch & he sleeps/eats upstairs & there is never a single poop up there lol
I use a soft slicker brush for my lions, i make sure I brush gently but it seems to get a lot of loose fur out & if there are any small knots they are no problem. With the heat I have been keeping the fur shorter for keeping cool. My first lionhead changed so much from winter to summer that he looked like a different bun. I got a comb with turning teeth to keep him tangle free as his winter coat was so thick.

Back