• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxie is ill. U/D feeling much better! :D

Jaffacake

Alpha Buck
He was really off earlier, he wasn't moving, I thought there was something wrong when I went outside and he didn't come say hi. But then I got some apple and he perked up and started circling me for treats so I just thought it was silly paranoid mummy syndrome. That was about 6:30pm.

I went out to put them away about 20 minutes ago and he went straight to his bed area and wouldn't come out for food. I tried to give him Metacam which he loves and he wouldn't take it. He has a slight head tilt now, he's just so off especially how he usually is. He hasn't moved off my knee since I brought him in. He keeps closing his eyes.

We brought him inside and he took his metacam and some pellets and lettuce. He's asleep on my knee but he just isn't right. My mum and I were talking about the emergency vet but they are **** with rabbits, we took our last rabbit there and they charged us £200 and didn't help at all. So I'm waking up at 8am to book an emergency appointment with our rabbit savvy vets . The main vet is away though. We'll get him everything he needs, but I'm just so scared.

He's perked up a bit now. He has given me a couple of kisses, and weed on me :roll: He's munching at the pellets. But he's just not himself. He's only a baby still and he's been ill his whole life. 10 months old and 10 months of being ill. Snuffles, this. Could this be snuffles related, or does the tilt mean it could be ec??

I'm putting him back out with Bella in the hutch in a bit as I know it would stress him more to be on his own, but I've blocked off the bottom so he can't go on the ramp and I took out the litter tray and just filled half of the top with hay instead so he doesn't have to jump to get to the hay.

:cry:
Oh god. I'm just trying not to sob :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Oh no :cry:

I'm sorry I have no advice and I don't want to suggest something incorrectly, but I would like to send lots of vibes for tomorrow.

I hope Foxie will be OK xx

Thanks guys :cry: The vibes are really appreciated.

I've put him back outside now. He's had about 40 minutes of cuddles and there is nothing else I can do. He immediately went and huddled in the corner of his bed area. I sat outside and waited for a bit, then opened the bed door again and he was having a little drink as the water bowl is in the bed area by the corner. I put a handful of hay and a handful of pellets by him and he's eating the pellets. He's still got his eyes half closed and he won't move from the corner, but he's eating and drinking and that's the most important part.

I wish there was something else I could do! I wish this had happened in the middle of the day and not past 10 at night!

Loads of vibes. How awful, I fully understand not going to the emergency vets. With Grim, his infection spread to his ear, giving him head tilt. I hope it's as simple as that for you.

Loads of vibes. How awful, I fully understand not going to the emergency vets. With Grim, his infection spread to his ear, giving him head tilt. I hope it's as simple as that for you.

Thanks Jenova, I was worrying people would jump on me for not taking him to the emergency vets- but that's £200 we can put towards better treatments and better vets in 9 hours time... even if I spend that 9 hours hyperventilating.
That's really useful to know, I am so worried it's something on top of the snuffles. Whatever it is is bad, but at least with snuffles he's had the cultures and we and the vets know what we are dealing with. He's been sneezing worse today, and when he was lying on my knee his nose was much more gunked up. We ran out of bisolven this morning too so I can't do anything about that. I was going to ring the vets in the morning to get a new prescription.
I was just reading the snuffles bunny thread and looking for anything similar :(

wood vets are 24 hours at quedgley xx

Thanks, I realised that a little while ago (we are still so unused to them!) but surely their 24 hour vets wouldn't be as good? It would be one of the 'emergency' vets rather than the vets on staff. Jason is the one who last treated Foxie and Kat has been dealing with us via phone since Jason went on holiday. I think he's away till the end of the week but he said to contact Kat if things get worse with the snuffles.
I don't drive; if I did I think I'd just give in to panic and drive him to the emergency vets in Quedgely. My mum's the voice of reason and she's also the driver :(

Right, I just went out to check on him and he was sat next to his teddy bear in the middle of the bed area. I tried to give him some cucumber and he took it off me, threw it, and then ate a pellet instead :). As I left he hopped into the main area and came to the bars to see me off (which is what he usually does). Still quiet, and the head is still slightly tilted. But he's definitely perked up, and he's obviously still eating.

I think that if he is eating then waiting until morning to see a vet should be ok, providing you check on him a few times during the night. I don't know where you are, but here it is quite cold and if he really is poorly, he may get cold and that could lead to even more problems, especially with his snuffles.

I would say that even if he seems better in the morning, still take him to the vet. (I'm sure you will anyway but just thought I'd mention it.) Keep us updated and let us know how the vets go. I hope it's nothing too serious. x

Poor Foxie :( sending ((((((((((((((healing vibes))))))))))))) and prayers that he will be okay. xxxx

Thanks, I realised that a little while ago (we are still so unused to them!) but surely their 24 hour vets wouldn't be as good? It would be one of the 'emergency' vets rather than the vets on staff. Jason is the one who last treated Foxie and Kat has been dealing with us via phone since Jason went on holiday. I think he's away till the end of the week but he said to contact Kat if things get worse with the snuffles.
I don't drive; if I did I think I'd just give in to panic and drive him to the emergency vets in Quedgely. My mum's the voice of reason and she's also the driver :(

Right, I just went out to check on him and he was sat next to his teddy bear in the middle of the bed area. I tried to give him some cucumber and he took it off me, threw it, and then ate a pellet instead :). As I left he hopped into the main area and came to the bars to see me off (which is what he usually does). Still quiet, and the head is still slightly tilted. But he's definitely perked up, and he's obviously still eating.
it's their Regular vets :) Jason works nights some weeks, when he's not on holiday!

it's their Regular vets :) Jason works nights some weeks, when he's not on holiday!

Oh! My old, old vets had an emergency clinic on their site but it was not the same vets it was a different company. That's really good to know for next time.

I went out to check on him last night, it was very mild out (whilst my house was very hot!) which is why I put him back out with extra hay and his wifey. We have an indoor cage and a puppy crate for if they are poorly so we can bring them in, but Bella hates them and would've been chewing on the bars and stamping all night if we had brought them both in.

This morning he is much better! He came outside and even tried to hump Bella :lol: I rang one minute after the main vets opened and they had one appointment left in both their branches for this morning. We are booked in to see Katherine at 9:30am in Quedgely. So We have about 45 minutes to get ready, and I should probably get off the computer!

Thanks so much for your messages, they really helped me and I'm sure Foxie appreciates them too! :love:

Only just seen this.

I really hope Foxie is sorted out by the vet - poor little fella. Glad to see that he was not any worse this morning.

Sending lots of get well vibes, nose rubs for Foxie and hugs for you xxxx

Back