• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.C. U/D.. is it time to give up? Need someone to be optimistic x

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,I am back on the forum for loads of advice and vibes.
Ghostie my six year old has come down with a bout of EC spotted on my return from uni.
Vet treated with jab of 'low-dose anti-inflammatories' and one notch of panacur a day. Is this enough?
She's now back up at uni with me to nurse her.
She's not my bunny, it's quite sad actually, not her usual feisty self but I know she's a fighter and I love her dearly. Very drunk actions, always flopped out, pretty miserable, falls over after handling. Eating, drinking, pooing all fine.
Off to work so sorry for short post but please can people put their experiences and help me have hope! c

Last edited:
Update, please reply

Hi guys, G has been on her Panacur for about 2 weeks now (finishing second seringe) and today I walked into my room and the room smelt horrendous. I walked over and saw pools of very wet sludgy poo. She hasn't been flopping out today, her head tilt seems worse. I thought she was getting better.
She's not happy, she's not my bunny who is a feisty little madam, bounding around and playing.
I know it's not going to make her tummy better but I have put her out on the grass to cheer her up as she seems quite done and this his thoroughly worked, she's investigating and chomping on some grass.
What do I do. I have no experience with EC and am very concerned about if she ever will make a recovery and her quality of life.
Please reply :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Apart from Panacur what other meds is she on ? Is the head tilt definitely due to EC and not to a middle ear infection ?

Only Panacur...... vet looked in ears and said she saw no infection and therefore antiobiotics would inhibit ec or something.... I haven't a clue about ec so completely trusted her......

Only Panacur...... vet looked in ears and said she saw no infection and therefore antiobiotics would inhibit ec or something.... I haven't a clue about ec so completely trusted her......

A very important part of the treatment of EC is giving a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam. It is inflammation within the CNS caused by erupting EC spores that causes clinical symptoms and longterm cellular damage.

Middle ear infections cannot be identified simply by looking into the ear canal with an otoscope. Skull radiographs are needed.

There is some comprehensive information about EC here

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

With regards to her poo issue today, is it true diarrhoea or unformed cecotrophs ?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...t-still-hardly-drinking&p=6044196#post6044196

See my post here, this is my recent battle with Cleo and EC. It was a long long 2-3 months before we saw any improvement that showed Cleo was going to get well enough to have a decent quality of life.

Second what Jane says about needing daily anti inflammatory and also some decent antibiotics for possible ear infection. Cleo had two weeks of Zithromax antibiotic and is still on metacam daily, we are just starting to wean her off it now after 3 months of it.

Cleo never had true diahorrea but she passed a lot of softer poo in her worst days, and couldn't eat her cecotrophs and a lot of them were unformed. Because she was so poorly and couldn't stand we'd often find her caked in them and she needed cleaning several times daily.

Fibreplex may be helpful to support her stomach while she is on the medications.

Sending lots of vibes for her x

Awww Hetty :( are you back in Gloucester now? Can you get an appointment to see Jason?

I remember SJ had a long "discussion" with one of the vets at your Essex practice about them not wanting to prescribe anything other than panacur for ec, so I would definitely see if you can get her to a decent bunny savvy vet for a second opinion ASAP. I know they can look very poorly for quite a while but can also make a very good recovery if treated appropriately. Big hugs x x

I take it the 'Jason' mentioned is at Woods?

Our girl Buttercup had EC and was ill for at least a month before we found Jason. During that time all she was given by the vets we trusted was panacur paste, antibiotics and blood tests / x rays! Within days of Jason seeing her she had made an improvement with additional doses of panacur, the all important metacam and other treatment for her eye etc. If at all possible, get her to Jason. I cannot recommend this vet highly enough.

They can recover from EC. Buttercup did and hers was a severe case. She went on to have a great couple of extra years with very little evidence of ever having been ill apart from a slightly raised head that other people didn't even notice and Buttercup wasn't bothered by it!

Good luck :wave:

Back