• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

still not happy about hay

lucy24

Mama Doe
my last lot was damp and mouldy from a farm, i just ordered some from hay4pets and i dont really like it either.i spent £48 but it doesnt smell fresh like it should and alot of it is brown. i have no choice but to use it as i have no more money after spending that and my parents will fume if i say its still not right. will have to have another plan for next month! the only good stuff is from a local pets store at the moment- thinking cap is going on....

rant over lol

I order from naturesownpets, £19.95 for 5 small bales, including delivery. Hay has always been lovely and I get through loads of it with 3 buns, 3 piggies and 2 sheep eating it!

The hay I've been getting lately smells WONDERFUL....must be all the sunshine. I'll look at the name on the packet when I get home. :wave:

no unfortunately as we have no car so i always have to order online- it should be ok for now, i'm going to go out and have a proper look at it. the buns seems to be quite happy stuffing their faces with it so perhaps i am too fussy :?:oops:

i still have a large amount of my shed taken up with last months bad hay- its all in bags waiting to be chucked, my dad is not happy about the mess! however he is currently using one bale in the garden as a seat :lol:

also does tomothy hay smell different to meadow?

Err.... :oops: I don't think I know the difference

All I know is I've tried them on ALL the hays they sell at P@H, including the weird bright green stuff from America (which is all more expensive) and they still like this the best. Might be because it's not cut long before you get it (the bags are dated).... just smells all fresh and grassy :D:D

yeah had another sniff and its stale smelling- like a burnt scent :? and im pretty sure i can see fluffy bits in it.... im not sure what to do- do i complain and try and get a refund? but what do i do with 3 bags of stale hay? ....all fine and good if i can get rid of but i have no car....:(

You could offer it on your local free cycle? I've done that twice now, once someone picked it up as bedding for her chickens and the other time someone wanted to compost oh

I would ring HayforPets and explain. They will want you to be satisfied and I'm sure will offer you replacement. Ask them to arrange for the 'bad' hay to be collected when the new stuff is delivered.

Back