• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Age related?

Rosey

Young Bun
Hi,

I am very concerned about one of my rabbits. We are not sure of Sweeties age, we got her from a rescue centre around 4 years ago now after she was badly treated by her previous owners, the rescue centre were not sure of her age at that time either, although we guessed she was a few years old at least. Anyway her and her husband George have been very happy together.

I have noticed sweetie slowing down a lot over the last year, she has even more grey hairs to her shiney black coat and she does not seem to eat as much as she used too. I had her checked by the bet not long ago and all her teeth, skin, fur, nails and everything was in great condition although she is loosing her sight and hearing a little too. Over the last few weeks she has not been moving as much and if she sits or lies in one position for any longer than 20 minutes when she gets up she struggles to move her back legs and kind of drags them a little until she gets moving. As a nurse I know how arthritis can effect people in getting moving when sitting for too long and I am guessing this might be the problem for sweetie?

Thankfully I have never seen any of my rabbits in pain before, and I am not sure how much pain sweetie is in? A vet told me it might be time to put her to sleep, but I do not want to do this unless I really need to for her sake, and her partner George who is going to miss her ever so much. On the other hand I could not bear for her to be in pain.

They have always had free run of the whole garden, and can often be seen sat on the chairs at the table lol but recently Sweetie is not straying far from their hutch and is struggling to now get upstairs.

I am not sure what to do for the best for her? Can anyone offer some advice please?

x

It may well be age related arthritis. Did the Vet not suggest giving her a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam ? Given daily it can be of huge benefit to arthritic Rabbits.

I think suggesting PTS without even attempting treatment is rather extreme and I would question how 'Rabbit Savvy' the Vet is :?

ETA- Keeping her accomodation on one level would be a good idea, so no 'upstairs' to negotiate.

It may well be age related arthritis. Did the Vet not suggest giving her a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam ? Given daily it can be of huge benefit to arthritic Rabbits.

I think suggesting PTS without even attempting treatment is rather extreme and I would question how 'Rabbit Savvy' the Vet is :?

ETA- Keeping her accomodation on one level would be a good idea, so no 'upstairs' to negotiate.

This.

I was a little shocked to read the PTS suggestion too.

These two links talk about arthritis and some of the options: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/Osteo/arthritis.htm

Arthritis can be debilitating for a rabbit and may require an anti-inflammatory medication. Dr. Bill Guerrera, whose patient roster is 60% rabbits [many from the Colorado (USA) House Rabbit Society], mentions this:

The most common problem I encounter with our geriatric rabbits is osteoarthritis, especially in the lower back. The rabbits tend to develop spondylosis, a progressive degeneration and fusing of the spine. The condition can cause chronic pain and a reluctance to hop, which in turn can lead to muscle weakness and atrophy—causing further instability and progression of the spondylosis.

Fortunately, there have been some significant advances in treating chronic pain in pets. NSAIDs [non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs] such as meloxicam have proven useful in rabbits. Other approaches such as acupuncture and nutraceuticals [veterinary-quality nutritional supplements] are showing very promising results. It’s important to realize that nutraceuticals are currently not well-regulated and sometimes less-expensive varieties may have inaccurate concentrations or be more poorly assimilated by the rabbit. Check with your veterinarian for approved supplements.

While it’s important to maintain these rabbits as pain-free as possible, it’s also important that they exercise to prevent muscle atrophy. When appropriate, locate litter boxes and bowls so that the rabbit has to move (even a little) to get to them. Try to capture his interest with toys and playtime, stimulating his mind and his muscles each day. Massage may help prevent muscles that are not being used from becoming stiff and painful.
http://www.celebratingrabbits.com/stories/caring_for_aging_rabbit.html

My Dylan who is 9 suffers from the symptoms you have decribed. He is not as active as he once was and also struggles to get up from been sat. He is on metacam daily and he has improved. I would defiantely ask your vet to look at this ASAP.

I would think age related arthritis - but of course without any other diagnostics it would not really be possible to say.

If it is arthritis buns can be kept very comfortable and happy with metacam for many years - I also am shocked at your vets suggestion and recommend starting a thread on here to ask for the names of a rabbit savvy vet close to you.

Thank you for your suggestions, I too was taken aback at the suggestion of PTS to be honest, and I get the feeling he would have done it there and then! I have made her a bedding and toilet area downstairs now, . I will take her back but see another vet I think and ask for metacam too. To me she still has years left in her even if she is slowing down.

Thanks again :)

x

Back