• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petition to End Craigslist Animal Sales

I don't understand? Craigslist allows posters to flag an ad that goes against the rules (such as breeders) and the post is then removed and I know my area definitely flags inappropriate things.

I've gotten pets off craigslist before. Ones that were genuinely unwanted pets, not mill animals or backyard bred animals. I think it's a good thing, surely it saves loads of lives - where else are these animals going to go? And it gives people an option to adopt rather than go to a pet store. My area also advertises animals in pounds and shelters so it helps get animals that have very little time left adopted.

I'll never understand why free ads are vilified... it's just an advertising platform:? You could also say the newspaper or the bulletin boards in pet stores need to stop the live sale of animals.

I don't understand? Craigslist allows posters to flag an ad that goes against the rules (such as breeders) and the post is then removed and I know my area definitely flags inappropriate things.

I've gotten pets off craigslist before. Ones that were genuinely unwanted pets, not mill animals or backyard bred animals. I think it's a good thing, surely it saves loads of lives - where else are these animals going to go? And it gives people an option to adopt rather than go to a pet store. My area also advertises animals in pounds and shelters so it helps get animals that have very little time left adopted.

I'll never understand why free ads are vilified... it's just an advertising platform:? You could also say the newspaper or the bulletin boards in pet stores need to stop the live sale of animals.

The animals are often bought to be used as bait for dog fighting, snake food, or to abuse. Unfortunately not all of the animals on there get happy homes, especially the free ones :(

The animals are often bought to be used as bait for dog fighting, snake food, or to abuse. Unfortunately not all of the animals on there get happy homes, especially the free ones :(

Sadly this can happen anywhere though. People are warned in my area on craigslist to not to give away free pets and to home check etc and people post warnings about suspicious people.. so it's not all bad. Surely the majority get good homes?

Just don't think it's a good idea.. Animals will just be flushed/thrown away/released if people don't have an easy way to 'get rid'. And there are other free ads sites, so people would just rehome through them, except they probably don't have a flagging system and as good of rules as craigslist does.

Back