• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles strikes again. Please help!

Hi again everyone,
I am wondering if any of you can recommend a natural treatment for snuffles. My little bun came down with it for the second time in the last month or so. First time I treated it pretty successfully with antibiotics from the vet, but I know that they tend to kill the good bacteria as well as the bad so hesitate to give her another course and was hoping to find an alternative.
Any greens/herbs or meds that would help with symptoms and strengthening the immune system?
Also how can I prevent this from happening again, most of the young rabbits that I adopt seem to get snuffles after I bring them home, I am guessing this is due to stress which I try to keep to a minimum. I also work on keeping cages clean, draft free but ventilated and of course have my rabbits on a good diet with plenty of clean food and water but this never seems to be enough. No one likes to see even one rabbit suffer especially when they keep getting it and I really really don’t want the others to get it. Starting to get worried. :-(
Any advise on treatment and prevention etc would be appreciated. Thanks!

Unfortunately you will need to consult a Vet again as if Snuffles symptoms have recurred soon after stopping treatment it is very likely that the course of antibiotics was too short.

There are no alternatives to conventional medicine when dealing with an active bacterial infection such as Snuffles. Yes, complimentary treatments may be of benefit alongside conventional medicine, but not instead of.

I would suggest that a long course of antibiotics is given, sometimes as long as 6 weeks is necessary. Treatment should continue for several days AFTER all clinical symptoms have resolved.

This thread may be useful to read, its long but you may find some helpful advice on it regarding managing 'Snuffles'

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?340086-Snuffle-bunny-thread

Unfortunately you will need to consult a Vet again as if Snuffles symptoms have recurred soon after stopping treatment it is very likely that the course of antibiotics was too short.

There are no alternatives to conventional medicine when dealing with an active bacterial infection such as Snuffles. Yes, complimentary treatments may be of benefit alongside conventional medicine, but not instead of.

I would suggest that a long course of antibiotics is given, sometimes as long as 6 weeks is necessary. Treatment should continue for several days AFTER all clinical symptoms have resolved.

This thread may be useful to read, its long but you may find some helpful advice on it regarding managing 'Snuffles'

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?340086-Snuffle-bunny-thread

Guess its back to the vet then and I will check out the thread. Thank you!

I agree with Jane re the longer course.

You can use a probiotic alongside antibiotics to help protect the gut. Avipro and bio lapis are added to drinking water, fibreplex is a yummy tasting paste in a syringe or pro fibre are pellets you can feed with their normal food.

I agree with Jane re the longer course.

You can use a probiotic alongside antibiotics to help protect the gut. Avipro and bio lapis are added to drinking water, fibreplex is a yummy tasting paste in a syringe or pro fibre are pellets you can feed with their normal food.

Oh good! Where can I find those, from the vet or elswhere?

Back