• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maggots - help!

katie88

Mama Doe
My mum has just told me that we've recently had lots of maggots in our bin. I'm really worried as I put the soiled rabbit bedding in the bin and not sure if there could have been eggs in the bedding causing the maggots. I am not at home at the moment and won't be for at least another hour, I am panicking that I may have a maggot infection on my hands.

When I get home I will be inspecting both buns, please can someone advise me what to look for? Obviously maggots are a very bad sign but I know they will lay eggs in the fur too? Both my girls have been fine in themselves and not showed any signs of being ill or in distress so I am really hoping the maggots in the bin have just been attracted to some food and nothing to do with the buns. However the bin is very close to the girls' hutches and runs so I am really worried about this. I've never experienced flystrike before, please help!

try not to panic. It's far more likely the maggots are from food in the bin than from your rabbits bedding. Check their bums when you get in but if they are both clean with no signs of maggots or eggs don't worry. It might be a good idea to move the bin if you can as bins will always attract flies.

Fly eggs look like small grains of rice, check them over when you get home. I'm sure they're more likely to be from the bin but best to check.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I think I may have overreacted a little...:oops: I have checked them both thoroughly and there are no signs of any maggots or eggs, and both their bums are completely clean. I will definitely move the bin just for piece of mind though and it's made me think that I should probably clean their litter trays daily when the weather is warmer (I currently do it every other day).

Thanks both again for your advice.

Glad the panic is over.
Do you put everything in black plastic sacks before putting in the dustbin - that way there is no loose food or bedding to attract flies or maggots.

Glad your buns are OK. Sometimes it takes something like this to make you stop and think how easily and quickly fly strike can happen. I've just had two of my buns treated with rearguard, it was expensive at over £30 to treat 2 buns, but I noticed on thehayexpert website they do a flystrike prevention product for £10, and it does 5 treatments. However clean you and your buns are, for £10 I just don't think it's worth taking the risk. Sorry I can't remember if its .com or .co.uk.

You're right it definitely makes you realise how easily it could happen. I'll have a look on the hay experts, thank you. They're having their vaccinations on fri anyway so I will ask the vet to check them over just to be on the safe side.

Everything is put it plastic bags however the sacks with their litter in I tend to just curl the top over rather than properly tying it in a knot, so I will start tying them up properly I think.

Back