• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Extraction of front teeth

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
Nibbles has been booked in to have his upper and lower set of front teeth extracted. We felt it was unfair to keep on burring given that they are becoming more frequent. I'm pretty nervous :shock: Is there anything I need to do for him when he first gets them removed? What sort of things will he (or not) be able to eat? His teeth are otherwise in perfect condition which is good news :D

Any advice or previous experience of extraction appreciated :wave:

It may take him some time to get used to picking food up. Keep an eye on how he manages to get food in and if it stays in.

What food does he usually eat? The buns I have with major dental issues really appreaite SS soaked in water. It seems to make it more tempting too.

Over time one or all may try and grow back. Our Smokey had to have hers removed several times and Quinn had one little peg like tooth grow back.

Good luck with it all and big hugs to Nibbles.xxx

It may take him some time to get used to picking food up. Keep an eye on how he manages to get food in and if it stays in.

What food does he usually eat? The buns I have with major dental issues really appreaite SS soaked in water. It seems to make it more tempting too.

Over time one or all may try and grow back. Our Smokey had to have hers removed several times and Quinn had one little peg like tooth grow back.

Good luck with it all and big hugs to Nibbles.xxx

He is currently eating SS pellets :thumb: and hay, naturally! Will try that :) He seemed to cope OK when he lost his top set the first time around because of trauma, I hope he'll be able to adapt quickly.

My Gus has had his teeth burred every 6-8 weeks since he was about 2, he is now over seven and copes just fine.

Yes, I was considering carrying on with the burring but I was really concerned about Nibbles the last time he had his teeth burred, he just didn't seem to cope well at all. He gets really grumpy when they start to get too long too. :(

Gummy bunnies tend to do brilliantly! It takes a little while sometimes for them to work out how to pick food up again, but once they have that sussed they hardly seem to notice anymore!

Just make rue all food is small enough to fit into their mouths and back to the molars. Some gummy bunnies need their hay chopping up a bit, others prefer the longer strands and treat them like spaghetti. :lol:

i have a rabbit with no front teeth, she eats burgess pellets with no problem i don't feed SS has they are longer and i dont want to risk her choking, she eats hay but i think it is more difficult for her, i use the shorter strands for her or i cut it , she can't eat grass unless its long enough to reach her back teeth and i slice carrots with a vegetable slicer.

she can eat herbs and dandelions with no problem, a peg tooth did grow back at the top but she had that removed a couple of months ago...:D

oh and she is not good at cleaning her bum i think its because she doesn't have the front teeth to pull the bits off so keep an eye on that ...:shock:

Yes, I was considering carrying on with the burring but I was really concerned about Nibbles the last time he had his teeth burred, he just didn't seem to cope well at all. He gets really grumpy when they start to get too long too. :(

Yeah I guess it depends on the bunny and the angle of the teeth, my sister had a gummy bun who coped just fine. One thing to watch for is matts of fur around his rear end, I think the lack of teeth makes it a bit harder for them to groom themselves thoroughly, especially when moulting.

i have a rabbit with no front teeth, she eats burgess pellets with no problem i don't feed SS has they are longer and i dont want to risk her choking, she eats hay but i think it is more difficult for her, i use the shorter strands for her or i cut it , she can't eat grass unless its long enough to reach her back teeth and i slice carrots with a vegetable slicer.

she can eat herbs and dandelions with no problem, a peg tooth did grow back at the top but she had that removed a couple of months ago...:D

oh and she is not good at cleaning her bum i think its because she doesn't have the front teeth to pull the bits off so keep an eye on that ...:shock:

Thanks :D The vet seems to think that removing the teeth won't affect him too much after a while, as he will learn to pick his food up in different ways rather than with his teeth. I'd be worried about him choking too :shock:

Yeah I guess it depends on the bunny and the angle of the teeth, my sister had a gummy bun who coped just fine. One thing to watch for is matts of fur around his rear end, I think the lack of teeth makes it a bit harder for them to groom themselves thoroughly, especially when moulting.

Poppy has no front teeth and her food is half hard, half soggy :) she has SS mature so nice chunky pellets for her.

She needs help grooming herself and if we give her too much wet food (usually only a pinch) then she gets very messy :( she's a very good girl though and takes it in her stride :love: once she's all cleaned up she usually does a head binky:lol:

Poppy has no front teeth and her food is half hard, half soggy :) she has SS mature so nice chunky pellets for her.

She needs help grooming herself and if we give her too much wet food (usually only a pinch) then she gets very messy :( she's a very good girl though and takes it in her stride :love: once she's all cleaned up she usually does a head binky:lol:

Aaww bless her! :) Fingers crossed Nibbles will do the same. :D

My Herbie was abandoned and his Incrisors overgrew into his nose :( He has had his Incisors operation twice and still he has two peg teeth that grew back in :(

I now just get those burred, I am not putting him through the op again.

He copes fine with SS pellets, Vetcare long pellets and Hay of any length. I have to cut or slice up his veg but that is the only adjustment needed. He is a wee star.

I do clean his scent glands for him and bush his back end.

I've had two buns here have their front teeth removed. They both eat Excel pellets with no problems, I just chopped up their veg a little smaller. Hope it goes well for Nibbles xx

Hi there

I had a 'gummy' bun (now a bridge bun) who had to have his front teeth removed. He did fine afterwards - the gums take a little time to heal and harden, but he adapted really well.
I gave him smaller pellets, so as they were easier to grab and cut up his veggies into smaller bite size pieces. I also cut up his hay into smaller lengths. Give him softened pellets when you get him home, until he is able to start eating hard ones again. I also put a bit of grippy matting at the bottom of his bowl (like the stuff you put on trays to stop plates moving about!) - this helped as he didn't have to keep chasing the pellets around the bowl and he could grab them easier! I'm sure your bun will do fine - just give him time to adapt. Good luck with him. xx

Back