• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch- bunny thumping. Will she settle?

Rosie42

Mama Doe
I finally persuaded my parents to let me buy Luna a new hutch (my dad didn't want to give up any more of his garden, so I have have to wear him down slowly). Her old hutch was a two tier four foot one with a ramp I really didn't like. I know it wasn't big enough, but it isn't my house, and that was the hutch originally bought for her and her brother when they were my sister's bunnies. The new one is 6ft by 2ft by 2ft. I set it up this morning with her old bedding in to make it smell okay (hopefully) and she seemed quite happy. She did a couple of laps of it, then a big wee in the sleeping part and then flopped out in the main part.

However, now it's time to go to bed she is being a bit frantic and I think feels a bit trapped. She kept trying to go out the front door after I'd closed it and now I've shut her in it she is thumping and has been doing so every couple of minutes for the last 20 mins. I've put one of her cardboard boxes in it to give her a bit of closure as I'm worried she is overwhelmed by the space. Will she calm down and get used to it? How long might it take?

She is stasis-prone and has had episodes in the past brought on by stress so I'm a bit worried that she is going to make herself ill if she doesn't calm down :(

Any advice would be appreciated- I feel like a terrible bunny mummy :(

Last edited:
:( I hope she's okay and feeling better now. Maybe she just needs a bit of time to get used to her new home. Putting familiar things in with her is a good idea.

I think it's something that will settle in time. It might be a case of it's a nice new space to explore but she thinks it's bed time now and would like to go back to her hutch. It's tricky because you can't explain these things too them. I expect she'll settle in over the new few days and it will become home to her :)

I think it's something that will settle in time. It might be a case of it's a nice new space to explore but she thinks it's bed time now and would like to go back to her hutch. It's tricky because you can't explain these things too them. I expect she'll settle in over the new few days and it will become home to her :)

Yes that is what I thought. I'm hoping that she will. The top of the box is kind of shredded this morning, so she seems to have taken it out on that. She did come out this morning and eat her pellets though and does not seem overly stressed now. I've put her chube in it for today and will leave it in over night as she likes hiding in that.

Thank you both for your replies :)

Back