• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new bale of hay smells like horse/poo...

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Got a new bale the other day. It smells fairly strongly of like, dirty horse, or horse/cow poo... if I stick my face in it.

It looks lovely - very green, really nice looking. However the smell is concerning me.

I only gave some to N&T last night so I've not been able to properly assess whether they're eating it properly.

Would you be concerned?

I feel a bit of a boob taking back a £6 bale of hay. If I find that N&T won't eat it, I'll take it back and buy another but leave the first bale for the horse supply woman to bag up as she tends to do for other customers.

Last edited:
I did that once.. I discovered a dead bird in my hay bale....

The farm shop, took it back, no problem... I have complained about damp hay before too and they gave me free bales next time!!,

Fee x

I did that once.. I discovered a dead bird in my hay bale....

The farm shop, took it back, no problem... I have complained about damp hay before too and they gave me free bales next time!!,

Fee x

Oh god :shock:

Better use gloves when I feed them their hay then :shock:

I think I might pop along and see what they say, it's only 5 mins from my house. I don't think the woman likes me very much though :oops:

I have had a few awful bales. One was so full of clods of earth I had to bin most of it. I did complain to them later but they didn't seem concerned. :roll: Last one was more straw than hay and this one seems fine.

Take it back, £6 is £6 and if everyone wasn't happy they wouldn't be getting any more customers.

I wouldnt have it..... Hay just off the field (this years hay) should smell lovely and sweet
Ive just got 100 bales in and it smells delicious....

Back