• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worried sick :(

shelley

Mama Doe
Busters in for a dental tomorrow, my vets have made a point of telling me that because his pasturella is still bad that the GA is going to be seriously risky. Im so stuck, he's barely eaten for 4 days, he's in pain with his teeth and the two top front teeth are over grown and he has spurs in the backs, the dental has to be done and they cant do it whilst he's conscious.

His health has been one this after another since the day i got him and its really wearing me down with the worry. In just two years he's had a tooth root abcess, two tear duct abcesses, gut problems, bladder problems, incontinence, snuffles, 4 dentals and tear duct flushes. He's so loving and cuddly and gives us so much, he really doesn't deserve all of this :cry:

Please send him vibes, thank you

Massive vibes for Buster! I'll be thinking of him tomorrow. Fingers crossrd after this he can have a nice break from any problems and loads and loads of snuggles!!

Awww, I'm sorry to hear about Buster :( Lots of get well soon vibes coming his way. I hope it all goes well for him tomorrow. He sounds like a lovely bunny :love: x

stay strong for you baby honey, I know exactly how you are feeling at the moment. Sending all my wishes to you both:love::love::love::love:

Thank you all,

My gorgeous boy

x54n7m.jpg

He's like my little sheep at home, follows me everywhere, sleeps on my bed, watches tv with me, greets my guests. I cant imagine life with out him.

Sorry to hear about Buster, he has been through a lot, and you have too, having a poorly bun is so stressful. Has the vet mentioned about removing his front teeth? My vet did this for my bun as she was having to go have her front ones trimmed every 8 weeks which was very stressful for her, and this was a more permanent solution, just a thought.
Good luck for tomorrow x

Sorry to hear about Buster, he has been through a lot, and you have too, having a poorly bun is so stressful. Has the vet mentioned about removing his front teeth? My vet did this for my bun as she was having to go have her front ones trimmed every 8 weeks which was very stressful for her, and this was a more permanent solution, just a thought.
Good luck for tomorrow x

Well its the first time the front ones have needed doing however theres two at the back which are always a problem. He had one tooth removed because they had to get to the abcess underneath which now means the tooth above it has nothing to grind against and it grows down into the empty gap below and he has another tooth missing on the other side too which strangely never came through so the same things happening that side.

Im just really worried because he doesnt eat hay any more because he has to have so many pellets to keep his weight up. I tired to go against that and just give him more hay and less pellets but his weight just drops off and becomes dangerously low. I cant win, its either teeth issues because of no hay or weight issues because of not enough pellets, its so difficult doing the right thing.

He is a bit fatter now as the pic was taken a while ago but he was ridiculously thin in that picture, his head looks almost to big for his body. His chest isn't great at the moment which is a cause for concern with the GA. Ive got to sign the papers knowing the risks but i'll never forgive myself if things go badly tomorrow!

Sending lots of vibes for Buster. He's been through so much bless him, he's clearly a fighter :D
I know its hard but don't be so tough on yourself, he needs the treatment and you are doing everything possible to make him feel better.
Hugs for you & Buster

Well its the first time the front ones have needed doing however theres two at the back which are always a problem. He had one tooth removed because they had to get to the abcess underneath which now means the tooth above it has nothing to grind against and it grows down into the empty gap below and he has another tooth missing on the other side too which strangely never came through so the same things happening that side.

Im just really worried because he doesnt eat hay any more because he has to have so many pellets to keep his weight up. I tired to go against that and just give him more hay and less pellets but his weight just drops off and becomes dangerously low. I cant win, its either teeth issues because of no hay or weight issues because of not enough pellets, its so difficult doing the right thing.

He is a bit fatter now as the pic was taken a while ago but he was ridiculously thin in that picture, his head looks almost to big for his body. His chest isn't great at the moment which is a cause for concern with the GA. Ive got to sign the papers knowing the risks but i'll never forgive myself if things go badly tomorrow!

Have you tried fresh grass, readigrass and alfalfa hay? You could also feed forage, which tends to be more fibrous and can also help to wear teeth down.

Good luck for tomorrow - you are doing the right thing if he can't eat properly at the moment. I know all too well the worries of having a bun that constantly loses weight. Do you know why he is losing weight? If not, tomorrow may be a good opportunity to get some tests done.

Have you tried fresh grass, readigrass and alfalfa hay? You could also feed forage, which tends to be more fibrous and can also help to wear teeth down.

Good luck for tomorrow - you are doing the right thing if he can't eat properly at the moment. I know all too well the worries of having a bun that constantly loses weight. Do you know why he is losing weight? If not, tomorrow may be a good opportunity to get some tests done.

Ive tried tons of different types, hes just not interested, he fills up on pellets so isnt bothered about it.

Yes its the pasturella :( the infection has been so chronic constantly fighting it is making him loose weight. It has been better recently but he's had 'active' pasturella since November last year :(

Back