• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storing Hay Bales

beckie20

Mama Doe
I think I'm going to have to make the transition to hay bales, as hay is now costing around £25 a month just for standard hay - brilliant that they're eating so much, not so brilliant that I am spending so much just on hay.

I'm looking at the plastic storage shed/container type things at Homebase... This is probably a stupid question, but will the hay not go bad if its stored in plastic? :?

I store mine in a plastic box but mine is inside a garage. Providing it's not in the sun and protected from the rain I don't see the problem. Mine's never gone bad but I do use it up within 4-5 weeks.

I've got the rabbits in the shady part of the garden, and don't think I'd have enough room in my shed to fit something so big in it

I think it'd be fine in one of those garden storage things. The only time plastic is a problem is when it's wrapped up tight and the hay can't breathe

a bale will fill a number of those boxes, i think we filled one of those outdoor black bin things, plus 4 plastic storage tubs! we just buy bags now :shock:

I've got this dilemma now. I've got three bales of hay in my garage on the counter over the bunny pen so can't store it down on the floor. Currently its all spread of large Ikea bags and cardboard bags but its not ideal. Is there such a thing as large breathable bags or sacks that anyone can recommend?

I've got this dilemma now. I've got three bales of hay in my garage on the counter over the bunny pen so can't store it down on the floor. Currently its all spread of large Ikea bags and cardboard bags but its not ideal. Is there such a thing as large breathable bags or sacks that anyone can recommend?

We keep ours in a cotton double bed size duvet cover.

a bale will fill a number of those boxes, i think we filled one of those outdoor black bin things, plus 4 plastic storage tubs! we just buy bags now :shock:

Gah, is anything to do with owning rabbits straightforward?!

Theres a "Cushion box" with dimensions in cm: (H)61, (W)125, (D)55.

How much would that store, roughly...?

I have this from Hombase - I got it a few months ago when it was 25% off everything that day we ordered it and we also had some vouchers so only cost us about £99 instead of £149.99 which I probably wouldn't pay for it personally.

I don't really know what to say about it really!:oops::lol: It is pretty big and you are able to store 2 'normal' size bales in upright and also a 15kg bale of readigrass and a few other bits and bobs. I really like it as I have it close to the bunnies shed so don't have to go far to get their hay and change their litter trays which is good however unfortunately it is in full sun an can get quite hot - which is not very good as I don't want the hay drying out too quickly etc.

I think I need to invest in a gazebo or an umbrella to keep the sun off it, I open the doors as much as possible and then drape a sheet over so air can flow in but I still do worry that it will get too hot for the hay. I guess it won't be much of a problem in the winter though as the sun or air won't be as hot.

Here are some pictures of mine, please do excuse the mess!

9448763777_a9ed859136_z.jpg

9448822967_dd0a6a362d_z.jpg

9451579552_a70102c9f7_z.jpg

Back