• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone know where you can get Meclazine?

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
As in the title really, I heard the factory burnt down :-/ I can only find chewable pastille type tables so not suitable for bunnies..

As in the title really, I heard the factory burnt down :-/ I can only find chewable pastille type tables so not suitable for bunnies..

Is it for a Bunny with a middle ear problem/vestibular disease ?

If so then when Morse had a bad Vestibular episode Metoclopramide helped him a lot.

Yes it's for Pansy, she has headtilt and facial paralysis from a suspected middle/inner ear infection. She is on Stemetil to help her balance (as we couldn't find Meclazine), which it does but it also makes her a bit 'out of it' so was looking for an alternative.

Now its really interesting you mention metoclopramide, On Friday Pansy had an awful experience when we tried to give her Zithromax, she reacted badly to it and she went into stasis...she is getting better now thank goodness, she had all the usual drugs, including metoclopramide and a catheter in her ear. I mentioned to Alison that her balance seemed much improved and though it was the weight of the catheter balancing her out, but maybe its the metoclopramide?!

Does Morse just have it when the symptoms are bad? How long is it safe to keep a bunny on it in your experience?

Yes it's for Pansy, she has headtilt and facial paralysis from a suspected middle/inner ear infection. She is on Stemetil to help her balance (as we couldn't find Meclazine), which it does but it also makes her a bit 'out of it' so was looking for an alternative.

Now its really interesting you mention metoclopramide, On Friday Pansy had an awful experience when we tried to give her Zithromax, she reacted badly to it and she went into stasis...she is getting better now thank goodness, she had all the usual drugs, including metoclopramide and a catheter in her ear. I mentioned to Alison that her balance seemed much improved and though it was the weight of the catheter balancing her out, but maybe its the metoclopramide?!

Does Morse just have it when the symptoms are bad? How long is it safe to keep a bunny on it in your experience?

Morse was unable to stand up at one stage and he improved dramatically about 15 minutes after an injection of metoclopramide. He had a dose every 8 hours for about 3 days by which time he had regained his balance. I would imagine it would be safe to use for longer than three days though.

My bunnies were on Metoclopramide long term in the end. Obviously it was for a gut-related issue, so different to Pansy.

Their gut condition progressed, and I always thought the Metoclopramide made their guts lazy, but I didn't have any other option than to use it. The progression might have happened anyway, but I'll never know.

So I guess my only concern for long term use would be whether it would affect the gut.

My bunnies were on Metoclopramide long term in the end. Obviously it was for a gut-related issue, so different to Pansy.

Their gut condition progressed, and I always thought the Metoclopramide made their guts lazy, but I didn't have any other option than to use it. The progression might have happened anyway, but I'll never know.

So I guess my only concern for long term use would be whether it would affect the gut.

Yeah I wouldn't feel comfortably using it for along time, I wonder if a short course could help though...I'm seeing my vet later so will see what he thinks, she'll need to be on it for a day or two anyway I think. She is eating well but poos are still rather small so not quite back to normal..

Back