• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When rabbits look old.

Mirth

Mama Doe
Just had an old rabbit handed in, lady says he's 6 years old, but he looks older in body than my 10 year old, whose only just showing his age, and he has really shrivvly old plums too. :oops::lol:

One side of his face is odd, eye is slightly shut and his face is more up compared to the other side which is normal. His front teeth look fine though and we let him have a small wander around to check if he's moving ok and acting normal. Very curious boy and sweet :love: if I were allowed pets up here I'd have seriously considered him.. I've always had a soft spot for old animals.

I was wondering then, does your over 5 year old rabbit look old? Or have they stayed young looking? Or haven't aged yet?

Petta my old female (rip) never looked her age, vets were always surprised when I told them her age as she looked in brilliant condition with no grey hairs and a silky coat. They always commented on her teeth too at how perfect they were. Peter had positive comments, but he's been looking scruffy now for a few years.

The 'odd' looking face may well be the result of a chronic ear infection

As for Rabbits looking their age, Miss Bunny Penny is almost 13

I think rabbits tend to age well, and look quite good even in later years.

There could be something going on to effect his face, an ear infection like Jane says or something with teeth at the back. If he's a bit under the weather from something that might make his coat look poor and him seem older than he is.

My Harry looked very old at 6. He was a dwarf lop. He sadly passed away at 6. :(

He wasn't the most healthy bunny though, I suppose it aged him to look at.

Fidget was 8 on 1st August and she has always looked the same. Until recently she had never had any health problems either and I always felt she seemed really young.

She hops around on 3 legs now which has made her much less active, and has gone from being a bossy madam to being a lot softer, so she does seem a bit older to me now. I don't know if she actually looks older though.

Sorry, went without internet for a while.

Well I found out another rabbit we have in, is also 6 years but doesn't look her age either.

Maybe he had something wrong and recovered from it. He was eating well and wanting cuddles and to come out and now has a new home. :D

Back