• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How best to advise next door neighbors

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
I have been talking to my next neighbors for a few months about rabbits. She saw me taking mine to the vets and started talking about her own.

Bought my bunnies and piggies monthly hay and food shop yesterday but something came up so left it in the car overnight. This morning i went out to get it all moved into the shed and next door was out with her dog. She just looked in my car in total shock. I have to say i do buy loads as my lot are all great hay eaters and i buy different types which are given at different times.

This is when she started telling me how she feeds her rabbit. She buys wagg muesli and a small bag of hay from the market. The market hay is a 2kg bag once that's gone its gone. She doesn't buy anymore until the next month. I tried telling her that bunny needs more hay (didn't bring up the muesli). But that's the way the bunny has been fed for years. Bunny is 6 years old just had a major operation on its leg and has moved indoors. I have no doubt that they love this bunny as they paid £900 for his operation rather than have him pts.

I just have no idea what to do now. She seems so set in her ways and doesn't want to listen to me. If anyone has any advise on my next move here i would be grateful.

Maybe offer to fetch a bag of hay if she runs out mid month, but then that maybe a long term job for you. :roll:

Although most members on here are aware of best diet for bunnies, if her rabbit is 6 and well loved then I would say don't worry about it too much.
Does her rabbit get grass? if so that replaces hay.
Also Wagg Muesli has a high % of pellets in it so one of the better mueslies
If you buy lots of hay you could always give her a carrier bag of it and say " i've been given some so thought your rabbit may like to try a different sort"..or something similar..try to time it when she has run out

Great ideas thank you.

I have half a bag of h4p timothy and rye that my lot decided they suddenly don't like :roll:. Will check it and get dd1 to go over and say ours don't like it and it seems a shame to waste it.

It might have been that he has had plenty of grass to eat, but warn her that once inside he will need unlimited hay as he can't eat grass all day. Or he's been eating straw to try and get his teeth down if she uses straw.

If you buy in bulk and it's cheaper you could always offer to pick her up some :)

The RWA have quite a range of leaflets so you could also get some of those (email and they'll send you some) and just offer those - say they came with something you ordered and you've read them and wondered if she like them.

Back