• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What age do you think these buns are?

jazxo

Mama Doe
These are the little guys I mentioned in my last thread. Dumped at the vets I work at this morning. I sexed them and one is female and one male.

Female- I think she's pregnant :'(
null_zps6fcd54b7.jpg

null_zps021911ab.jpg

null_zps818ecc40.jpg

Male - gorgeous cheeky chap :)
null_zps1a9390a1.jpg

null_zpsfde4262b.jpg

null_zps6ea065f0.jpg

Do you think they're old enough to be vaccinated? I think they are and I'm going to pay for the vacs then Kerry from Cuddly Critters is going to have them. Pretty pleased with myself today :lol:

Rabbits can be vaccinated with the combi vacc from 5 weeks and these are definitely over that. The other vacc brands vary slightly but I think the oldest is 8 weeks, and again they are definitely more than that.

It's always a bit tricky to tell with rabbits unless they are very young. I would guess these are around 5 months old, they do have a slightly babyish, haven't quite filled out yet look to them.

God that girl is gorgeous! She looks just like my Ice bun (from Kerry! So pleased she's taking them in :D) Ice looked like that when I first saw him at 5 months... and still looks like it at 20 months! Everyone thinks hes a baby when they see him, vets included, so very hard to tell. Looks young, 6 months ish, but could be older and like my Ice, never grew or filled out properly.

They look really young, like they've just be bought from a petshop recently, pretty sure the white one is a continental or cross of one. Has the boy dropped? If he's not obvious he may be younger than 12 weeks. I'd place them around 12 -15 weeks though, so you might be lucky that they're still too young to breed. But it's hard to tell with rabbits as they could be older!

They look really young, like they've just be bought from a petshop recently, pretty sure the white one is a continental or cross of one. Has the boy dropped? If he's not obvious he may be younger than 12 weeks. I'd place them around 12 -15 weeks though, so you might be lucky that they're still too young to breed. But it's hard to tell with rabbits as they could be older!

Yeah he's definitely dropped and they're much bigger than the bunnies you see at Pets at Home!

Oh the boy is lovely! :love: A Rhinelander cross probably. Well done getting them to a safe home! :D

I agree with all of this. :thumb:

Sometimes it can be really hard to tell. My bunch all seem to look young (though they're dwarfs anyway) and Harry especially is youthful for his age. I thought he was about nine weeks old when I got him until I discovered that he has an ear tattoo and had suddenly sprouted an impressive pair of huevos. :lol:

The male could be younger yes but the female really feels pregnant and I doubt it was the male that we found her with :( no idea about pregnancies but will she make it if she is pregnant when she's this small?

Do you know how much she weighs? Is she skinny? She looks old enough to manage a pregnancy to me, though it's not ideal of course. Can the vet palpate her to confirm a pregnancy, maybe? If she's in decent condition and does turn out to be pregnant, an emergency spay could be an option if it's early enough.

Do you know how much she weighs? Is she skinny? She looks old enough to manage a pregnancy to me, though it's not ideal of course. Can the vet palpate her to confirm a pregnancy, maybe? If she's in decent condition and does turn out to be pregnant, an emergency spay could be an option if it's early enough.

She feels skinny but not too bad. I'll weigh her when I get in today

I would have guessed 5-6 months and skinny. I may be wrong but recall being told by a vet ages ago that you should not give VHD jab to pregnant doe - not sure about the myxi jab.

This may be an issue if only combined jab available.

Others may be able to help here as its not a situation I have had to deal with

I would have guessed 5-6 months and skinny. I may be wrong but recall being told by a vet ages ago that you should not give VHD jab to pregnant doe - not sure about the myxi jab.

This may be an issue if only combined jab available.

Others may be able to help here as its not a situation I have had to deal with

Yes absolutely, if she is confirmed pregnant I won't get her vaccinated yet. Thank you :)

No idea on age I'm afraid - I'm rubbish at guessing ages in humans so have no chance in rabbits! Really glad they're getting sorted though, you should be very pleased with yourself :thumb:

So the doe is NOT pregnant, so glad. They're both doing great :) do worms cause a bloated tummy in buns?

I wouldn't confirm she's not pregnant until after 30 odd days. If she was found with a male then it's likely she's pregnant. But I would be on pregnancy watch just in case as she's probably too skinny to be spayed.

Well done for stepping in and saving these two :wave:

Do you get many rabbit's/pets dumped at your place?

Back