• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

There's something living under my shed- now with picture

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
Brain lives in a very big shed and run set up. It's on the grass so it has its own wooden base on some rafters.

Earlier I was scooping the hay off the floor (I pile it up loads because the floor is hard) and I heard a buzzing.

I was expecting to find flies or something under it all but I have emptied the entire shed and found nothing. I started scrubbing the floor and heard the buzzing again. I found out it happens every time I bang or tread on the centre of the shed.

I'm thinking bees? Wasps? I haven't seen lots flying around the area though.

Not sure what my next move should be. I'm considering getting rid of the shed anyway (that's for another thread!) but I certainly won't be doing it myself. But I don't want to call out pest people if it turns out to be a few flies or something!

Any advice or experiences appreciated.

I've moved Brian out of the shed for now.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience of this, but just bumping this up in the hope that someone will be able to help.

Oooh.... if it were wasps, i daresay you'd see them??

That sounds horrible but sorry I dont know what to suggest

Fee xx

Might be worth ringing your local wildlife trust (although I wouldn't do it on a sunday, I bet they're ridiculously busy over the weekends atm!) and explaining the situation. They should be able to give you some pointers on how to work out what's making the noise, especially if you say that you don't want to go smashing into the shed as you don't want to disturb their home or something along those lines!

Might be worth ringing your local wildlife trust (although I wouldn't do it on a sunday, I bet they're ridiculously busy over the weekends atm!) and explaining the situation. They should be able to give you some pointers on how to work out what's making the noise, especially if you say that you don't want to go smashing into the shed as you don't want to disturb their home or something along those lines!

That's brilliant advice. I'll give them a ring tomorrow thanks.

Oooh.... if it were wasps, i daresay you'd see them??

That sounds horrible but sorry I dont know what to suggest

Fee xx

Yeah I don't want to call someone out have it turn out to be a fly or something. But it sounded more like there were a few of them and I thought I heard something the other day too.

personally id keep brian out of the shed until you have got them removed, id be afraid of them getting in and stinging him, heard awful news on somewhere abroad that bee stings killed someones horses :cry:

personally id keep brian out of the shed until you have got them removed, id be afraid of them getting in and stinging him, heard awful news on somewhere abroad that bee stings killed someones horses :cry:

Thanks I will keep him inside. : )

If it's bumble bees then I really wouldn't worry too much. Bumbles live in very small colonies and are friendly little things. I had some nesting (they burrow) under the slabs in the run end of my kennel last year. They never harmed the buns or even went anywhere near them to be honest.

Thanks. Hopefully it's 'just' bees. It's pretty horrible hearing it when I step on the floor though.

Problem is I'm thinking if dismantling the shed anyway.

Just to add, we have loads of flowers that attract bees all over the lawn and in the plant beds. Nena literally walked over one the other day and the bee just flew out a bit confused :lol: I've never had any trouble with the bees in my garden so I wouldn't be too concerned with them living nearby/under his shed. Although I know you want to move him anyway :D

If you do find out that there's a beehive down there, there are often beekeepers in the nearby area who'll come and relocate the bees for you and integrate them into their own hives. Definitely worth contacting them if you do find out that it's bees!

Thank you. I have a fear of buzzing insects so it definitely needs sorting somehow whatever it is. I can't go near the shed at the moment :oops:

My dad reckons its bees as well and he said he will come and have a look tomorrow hopefully.

Everyone has said just to leave them if they're under the floor but it means I can't go in or near the shed so I don't know what to do.

If you can't go near the shed and the bun is staying in the shed, I'd contact someone that can remove them and relocate them for you. Please don't kill them, or let anyone else kill them, because bees are in big trouble at the moment and their numbers are dwindling fast - and the problem with that is that the whole countryside and the agricultural farming industry depends on them to pollinate plants.

He's in the garage at the moment. Can't be a long term solution because I have to keep the door open.

I won't have them exterminated, they've done nothing wrong. It's my problem not theirs :lol:

It's definitely bees. I can see them going in and out of a hole at the side of the base.

I can't cope with going in the shed so not sure what to do now!

Back